good durable tyres for autumn / winter commute

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
After some durable strong tyres for the winter commute. Yes I know im early but want to get prepared. Ill hopefully be riding my fixed most of the winter which has bontrager all weather tyres on im happy with. But my current choise of tyre is the mithclin pro 3 and doubt these will hold up well during winter but great summer tyre

Dont mind paying a bit for ones that will last and not too fussed about speed as will just be when i fancy a break from riding fixed, but will aslo be doing some longer rides during winter.

any recomendations appreciated

thanks

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Conti GP4000 is my preferred "Do anything all year" tyre atm. Heard good reports about the Attack/Force set by conti.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Schwalbe DuranoS.

/Close thread.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • andy83
    hmm same price as the pro3's

whats the difference between the 4000 and 4000s?

i love the pro 3's expecially as they match my red trek but dont think will be worth the hassle having them in the winter
  • asprilla
    4000S tyres are softer and grippier. They are my summer tyres and I've had about one visit form the fairy each month this summerr.

Seriously, if you want durable and long lasting, but aren't bothered about speed look at the Durano and Durano S. They are bombproof and will last forever.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    4000s have the "Black Chilli" rubber compound, regular 4000 don't.

I've been perfectly happy with the standard 4000 for a few k miles, snake bites only.
  • andy83
    Asprilla wrote:
    Schwalbe DuranoS.

/Close thread.

lol, i think im going to pop into lbs and have a look, prob by them end of the month and change around october or when my pro3s give up.

I do like the speed i get from the pro3's BUT id happy to compromise that speed to help prevent me getting frozen fingers fixing tube at side of ride
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I agree that the schwalbe durano is probably the tyre for you.

I have a different type of bike and have 28mm schwalbe marathon plus on it
    The durano is basically a 23mm road race marathon plus

I've used Michellin Pro Race 2 for very long rides on bad, wet roads and they've never let me down. The Conti 4000 seems pretty similar to this really. It's not a proper winter tyre

Another one that people seem to like is the Rubino Pro. I have used these but only for a few hundred km, but they were fine
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I use the conti GP4000S all year round without problems but the GP 4 seasons are tougher.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I road through 200' of broken glass last night (I kid you not) on my Conti Top Contacts running at 110psi (28c) and had no problems.

I've... erm.... damn.... tempt fate, tempt fate.... errr.... right. Think of the thing that you all worry about and that little winged freak. Got it? Right.

I've used these tyres for ages and they seem to be an anathema to the Freaky Fairy, although I am thinking about getting some 'proper' CX tyres for the Winter, so I can get some grip in the snow - the Top Contacts have a slick mid section which is great for speed but I'm not so sure they would be great in the snow.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • andy83
    im kind of sold now, thanks for the advice

I had the marathon plus on my old bike that got nicked and i really liked them
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    antfly wrote:
    I use the conti GP4000S all year round without problems but the GP 4 seasons are tougher.

GP4000S must be made of cheese then

I get about 2000km out of a GP4 Season before it becomes a puncture magnet. They are good tyres when new but don't last
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    SMPs.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Seriously, what do people think happens to the roads in winter? You're screwed on ice anyway, so that's not it. It rains marginally more? Race tyres cut through the water very efficiently. Grit on the road? Not where I ride.

Or is it that you're that much less keen to have to fix a puncture in the cold and wet? Fair enough. However, on my Ultremos I've had less than a puncture every two thousand miles so I'll take those odds.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    biondino wrote:
    Seriously, what do people think happens to the roads in winter? You're screwed on ice anyway, so that's not it. It rains marginally more? Race tyres cut through the water very efficiently. Grit on the road? Not where I ride.

Or is it that you're that much less keen to have to fix a puncture in the cold and wet? Fair enough. However, on my Ultremos I've had less than a puncture every two thousand miles so I'll take those odds.

last time I made a statement like that - a small visit from a miss P fairy. Hope you haven't set yourself up for one.

GP4 season back, as I am "larger" and need the durability (3000+ miles on the last one), and GP 4000s on the front for the extra grip, currently about the same mileage, although needs replacing soonish.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    vorsprung wrote:
    antfly wrote:

I get about 2000km out of a GP4 Season before it becomes a puncture magnet. They are good tyres when new but don't last
    Really? I've had a GP4 Season on the front wheel of my commuter for about 2 and half years. Only had a couple of visits in that time. Needs replacing now, though. I guess YMMV really does apply :?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    GP 4 Seasons on my Fixed. Recently replaced rear, although it had lots of life left, over 3000 miles.

Very grippy in all weather conditions and tough, but light and roll well.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've run gatorskins for the last 2 years, 2 P's both tiny shards of glass. I can handle that.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    another gp 4 season convert here - wearing very well, well over 3000 miles, had about 3 punctures I think, but with proper glass shards each time that looked like they would go through anything. Very light and much more grip than the Bontys I had before
  • vorsprung wrote:
    I agree that the schwalbe durano is probably the tyre for you.

I have a different type of bike and have 28mm schwalbe marathon plus on it
    The durano is basically a 23mm road race marathon plus
    Durano('raceguard') or Durano Plus('smartguard')?
  • asprilla
    I must attend the School of Avoiding Crap in the Roads as in the summer I average one fairy visit a month and in the winter it's closer to one ever two weeks.

I've used GP4000, GP4000S, Gatorskins and Krylion Carbons. All were pretty much the same for punctures so at the end of last winter I fitted Duranos on the fixed (which i only use in the winter) and I was P-free during Feb and March, something previously unheard of.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    andy83 wrote:
    im kind of sold now, thanks for the advice

I had the marathon plus on my old bike that got nicked and i really liked them

+1 for Marathon plus...never punture...touch wood :?
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I have been using a set of Bontrager select invert hardcase 700x35, with the arimid bead,puncture resistant and grip well in snow,rain, Ice and that frozen hardpack snow/Ice.Ive ran them for 2 winters and are showing very little wear.

It isnt a fast tyre but not slow for a commute either,and the puncture resistance is fantastic, unless you like changing a tube in a snow storm on the way home in the dark. :lol:
  • Had GP 4 Seasons on my road bike and recently switched to 4000s based on how much I liked them on my fixed.

Both are very good, but the 4000s seem faster and the handling a little better.

No visits in the last 5 years so no difference between the two on that front.
  • asprilla
    No visits in the last 5 years so no difference between the two on that front.

How can someone not have a puncture in 5 years?

How many miles do you do and do you emply a team of cycle butlers to sweep the road in front of you?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • 30 miles each way (sometimes taking the train back, though) plus weekend rides.

I guess I'm lucky. Until I ride back this evening, I expect.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Asprilla wrote:
    [How many miles do you do and do you emply a team of cycle butlers to sweep the road in front of you?

........ and can I hire them please? :lol:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    specialized all conditions pro (2)

its a nice tyre.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    vorsprung wrote:
    antfly wrote:

I`ve done nearly six thousand miles on mine {GP4000s} and the front one still has lots of life in it.
    The back one is probably ready for replacing but no visits for ages.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    +1 for GP 4 Seasons

Tough as old boots - never had a visit from the PF on them.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    4000S tyres are softer and grippier. They are my summer tyres and I've had about one visit form the fairy each month this summerr.

Seriously, if you want durable and long lasting, but aren't bothered about speed look at the Durano and Durano S. They are bombproof and will last forever.

+1. Awesome tyre.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."