on one 456 carbon frame

13»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    yeah agreed, it was only a small criticism remember and in principle i think this is amazing and i am well signed up for the whippet but not still sure I'd still wanna jump and drop a carbon HT, though maybe this is 'the first carbon frame that you can afford to break' :)

:?

Carbon isn't fragile.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is the frame many have been waiting for.

I'll be honest - OnOne frames have never really lit my fire. Great value for what you get, but never understood why some people upgraded to them from perfectly good frames ie to the inbred and 456.

But this one - I can see why. Light, cheap, strong.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I still think 1.5kg is heavy for carbon HT whether it cant take 6" fork or not my s works has 1.5" head tube BB90 and chainstays like tysons forearms but is still 400g lighter thats a lot, plus if I'm truly honest if you ride anywhere where you need 6" travel up front not sure I'd choose carbon HT to do it on?

Maybe not a racy carbon frame, no, but a carbon frame designed for harder and harsher use should be fine. The 456 isn't just heavier because of the extra strength for the fork, though that'll account for a large difference, but it's built for better crash resistance too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Only Mediums left now, good job I'm a medium.......
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    Carbon isn't fragile.

unfortunatley, and to my cost, personal experience has led me to believe this isnt true :(
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    I was wondering whether to start a thread like this myself.

I had a play around with the prototype frame at On One's stand at the World Cup. They were doing the £399 offer all weekend to anyone that signed up.

It actually looks really good. It looks quite beefy, some people might not like that about it, but it definitely gave off the feeling that it would suit a set of Fox 36's etc really well.

As for the "guinea pig" concept, I was thinking the same thing initially, but at the end of the day it will have passed CEN (so it's not going to break under normal circumstances) and it's covered by On One's full warranty anyway.

I suppose the key thing is simply whether it's just a bit rubbish! I would be more bothered about signing up for a frame that no one has actually ridden yet, just in case it has some unplesant ride characteristics.

I'll defo buy one if I can get a test ride first and I like it. You can't complain about the price, it's bloody cheap!
  • It's a hardtail; they all have unpleasant ride-characteristics :-)

I've ordered a medium, it's cheap enough to be worth the gamble, it looks the business and will be perfect for the sort of riding I do in the winter when combined with a geared hub. Can't wait!
  • i wish i could afford to buy one now whilst its cheap, but i really cant :( so unless they stay at that price till the start of june i wont be getting one at the 399 rate

however as a bonus it gives me a chance to see what it rides like first, so every cloud has a silver lining

still though, i do want one :D
  • carbonfiend
    thought this might be handy if this frame is gonna be your first carbon one - all based on 10yrs of experience.

Helicopter tape every area you feel could be hit by a mechanical part or stone/rock etc underneath chainstays & bottom bracket particular.

Cable tie's round the chain suck protector (assuming it has one) these have a tendency to come off and the cable ties keep them on and add extra protection

top tube protector round TT where the bars can swing round and shifters/brakes can chip the top tube. - i used an old piece of bar tape and cable tie

I even have some small strips of helicopter tape on the inside of my drop out as the gap between my smallest cog and the frame is very very small.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    I still think 1.5kg is heavy for carbon HT whether it cant take 6" fork or not my s works has 1.5" head tube BB90 and chainstays like tysons forearms but is still 400g lighter thats a lot, plus if I'm truly honest if you ride anywhere where you need 6" travel up front not sure I'd choose carbon HT to do it on?

How much is an S works Carbon frame?
  • carbonfiend
    :? why do my fingernails get dirty
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    :? why do my fingernails get dirty

what?
  • Northwind
    Carbon isn't fragile.

unfortunatley, and to my cost, personal experience has led me to believe this isnt true :(

Oh come on now, you know fine well that carbon isn't inherently fragile. Some lightweight or poorly designed pieces are, of course, but the same's true of any material. But carbon that's designed for strength and durability can be phenomenally tough, just look at Easton's downhill bars...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • carbonfiend
    I have broken 3 carbon frames by highly reputable manufacturers all impact would the same have happened with metal impossible to tell but its just my experience and I know its not science but neither is the you tube cannondale clip
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What frames and years, out of interest?
  • carbonfiend
    trek, specialized and kuota. sorry 2 were impact the Trek was a 9.9 2005 HT chain suck as plate kept falling off and damaged chainstay beyond repair it was replaced and happend again so swapped it for an S Works as refused another Trek the bottle caged bosses ripped out of S Works frame damged beyond repair replaced that and the chainstay of Kuota cx smashed to pieces when hit a log.
    Though I have had my OCLV (2000) road bike picked up by lunatic east london gangster and thrown threw the air and hit a concrete bollard and not a scratch but I have met 4 other people who had problems with trek carbon mtbs 2 with same problem i had and two with full sussers which cracked at the pivot points oh yeah another 2009 9.9 had cracks as well, sorry but IMHO Trek suck and dont get me started on FSA cranks :?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i've got an inbred, a steel 456 and a pompino, ordered a carbon 456 on monday. I've been waiting for this since they announced it, i just hope it actually rides well!

I also want to be able to get it with red accents over a black base so i can go all mad red anodising...
  • WelshLoon
    WelshLoon Posts: 102
    Recently bought a new 456 carbon and built up with mainly new parts, was well pleased with the weight and looks, very stealthy.

However on a trip to the marin trail about half way round the chain sucks up, this is on a new drivetrain now??
    Outcome is some quite deep gouges in the chainstay as they have designed it without clearance between chainset and chainstay, ala inbred, 456 etc.

Stripped and posted back to on one as i was amazed this could happen and if it could then why wasnt a metal protector fitted to the chainstay like most other carbon mtb frames, which i now realise after doing some research.

Outcome is they have offered me a crash replacement frame for £250, other than that its tough shite, am i right to feel hard done to or is it just hard luck and i should have had to designed a metal protector myself, hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

I will not buy from on one again on principle and a warning to all other 456 carbon owners, make and fit a metal protector plate before its too late as on one dont want to know!!

/rant over :(
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's a cheap carbon frame, you get more than you pay for anyway, a chainsuck protector is asking a bit much.
  • WelshLoon
    Not too much to ask on a £500 frame imo, whatever its made of!
  • Northwind
    Bad chainsuck's generally a sign of a worn drivetrain though. Surprised they haven't catered for it better mind, they've done this before. But, the question is are the gouges relevant? It might be no more damaging than the paint that's missing off my soul's chainstay. Just because there's no metal chainsuck guard doesn't mean there's not thought gone into it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Its happened to me once on a brand new drive train aswell and made a tiny mark in it tempted to chuck another washer on the bb to give it another couple of mm but am worries it will throw everything out. it seems to be set up perfect atm.

anyone know where you can get a metel BB protector ?
  • WelshLoon
    The gouges are quite deep, which is why i sent it back, way past the finishing coat and into the fibres, bet you the mark 2 frame has a metal plate like most carbon mtb frames, if it has they will be getting another call from me.
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    If they make a mark 2.

shame really as thats the only fault i can find brilliant frame apart from that.
  • Northwind
    WelshLoon wrote:
    The gouges are quite deep, which is why i sent it back, way past the finishing coat and into the fibres

But again, is that actually a problem?It may well be that they've included overlayering or extra thickness there to deal with chainsuck. Maybe not, it is On One after all ;)

Personally if I get one i'll be armouring it up with whatever means seems most suitable, cable ties are basic but actually quite effective, though i think I'd fold some thin sheet metal onto it if there's space.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I had this problem, I had some pretty serious jammage going on several times, but the gouges barely made it through the outer layer, the carbon seems pretty tough in that respect. I swapped my bottom bracket for one with a longer axle and haven't had a problem since.

Mine it as the chain bouncing around over rocks, then jamming under power by the way.
  • WelshLoon
    In hindsight as an engineer i would form a Stainless plate and stick it on but surely the designer should have seen this could be a problem as most other carbon mtb frames have them, they dont fit them for no reason.

Its only after the incident that i did my research and realised that trek, ibis cube etc all fit these protectors but on one claim there is no need for them, had a bit of verbal tennis with adrian from on one about it but he was backing the manufacturer, wont get a penny of my money ever again!

First and last carbon mtb frame for me as im left with the lasting memory of being £500 out of pocket, still furious about it, can you tell :twisted: