bottom bracket on Shimano M521 Hollowtech Octalink chainset?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Ok I have a Trek Fuel EX 6.5 with a Shimano M521 Hollowtech, Octalink chainset which I'm replacing tomorrow.

I'm not sure what bottom bracket it has though ie intergated or aquare tapered etc?

If the bottom bracket is square tapered I won't need to replace it if I get a compatible chainset will i?

Would prefer to get a chainset that fits my current bottom bracket

thanks
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    If this is it:
    http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Shop-By-Br ... _1360.html

Then you have an Octalink v2 BB. The HollowTech part refers to the crank arms in this case! Any Octalink MTB (other than XTR) will fit onto your BB.

What' up with the chainset?
  • projectsome
    ChrisSA wrote:
    If this is it:
    http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Shop-By-Br ... _1360.html

Then you have an Octalink v2 BB. The HollowTech part refers to the crank arms in this case! Any Octalink MTB (other than XTR) will fit onto your BB.

What' up with the chainset?
    nothing really, chainrings are a bit worn, suppose I could just replace those but wanted to replace the cranks as well but not important.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Let me know if you want to sell it - What sizes are the chainrings?

I've found my chainset is not serviceable, as the Crank is formed into the 1st chainring :(
  • projectsome
    ChrisSA wrote:
    Let me know if you want to sell it - What sizes are the chainrings?

I've found my chainset is not serviceable, as the Crank is formed into the 1st chainring :(

44/32/22

I doubt mine is in any better shape, there's teeth missing from the top and middle chainrings and the middle one is bent slightly.