Tour de Wallonie *spoilers"

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,158
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Not the most famous race, but still classified 2.HC, so a decent one to win.

Anyway, the final stage and the overall GC has been won by Russell Downing. A damn fine result for him.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,884
    RichN95 wrote:
    Not the most famous race, but still classified 2.HC, so a decent one to win.

Anyway, the final stage and the overall GC has been won by Russell Downing. A damn fine result for him.

a win is a win

tough little race as well
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's a good win. I think he could certainly challenge for a stage or two in the Vuelta, if he gets picked.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Is that Sky's first Stage Race GC?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Is that Sky's first Stage Race GC?

No, Ben Swift won the Tour of Picardie (or something like that)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Some clever riding to get the time bonuses.

I suspect the team will be pleased with the win but in general terms, this race is a tiddler. Good for Downing as he's spent so long on tiny UK teams, you felt he was wasting his abilities and finally he's made the move to more testing races and proved he can do it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,628
    He's good in the smaller stage races and nice to see him get his chance. Sky have now achieved their aim of a Tour podium within 5 years with a Brit (look at the small print, they didn't say which Tour :wink: )
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,652
    He did well on yesterday's stage which was pretty lumpy (Devolder got dropped) and that laid the groundwork for today.

Looking forward to how Sky do in the Vuelta tbh, they've nothing to lose and no GC to go for really
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Really pleased for him, glad he's got a couple of good wins under his belt this year. I also think he'd have a chance of a Vuelta win if he's given the chance but I guess he's more likely to ride the ToB.

I doubt Sky willl have any GC ambitions in the Vuelta so I guess they'll send a team of stage hunters...Henderson, Flecha, EBH, Gerrans.?..with those guys they would have a good chance of boosting their results list before the end of the season. Maybe then they could send a strong "British" team to the ToB...Wiggins, Thomas, Swift, Downing, Kennaugh etc.

Dave Brailsford should give me a job!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Really pleased to see Russ' performances this year. Bagged a fair few of Sky's wins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Chapeau Russ!
    For me the decision to have a british pro tour team vindicated right there.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    wicked wrote:
    Chapeau Russ!
    For me the decision to have a british pro tour team vindicated right there.
    What, going head to head with Verandas Willems? :wink: I think Sky have higher ambitions, but yes this is a win and they'll grab it.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    No light touch from the podium girls!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Well deserved and typical race for a rider like him where he works and works to get the result. He probably cold do well in some of the One day classics with luck and the right break
    M.Rushton
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Well it's a proper 5 day - 5 stage Continental Race with stages of 184-201-180-168-164 Km's.
    With 116 riders finishing the 1st stage and 76 finish the 5th stage.
    A little bit longer than the British Isles.
    Stage 4 took them over the Stockeu and other Ardennes climbs and Russell won with consistency and taking the final stage.

Those mileages (kilometers) would keep him in good form for the Vuelta Espana.
    Congrats Russell great win from (the TDF remainder of) top European road stars
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972