Training Plan?

zummerzet-lou
zummerzet-lou Posts: 95
Hi,

We're in mid winter here, so getting out on my bike is tough during the week as it's just too dark before and after work.

Do try and get out on the weekend, but even that has been pretty intermittent recently and the last ride I was just sooo slow and knackered at the end (55km - taking 2.5 hours!!)

Am thinking of maybe bringing my bike to work, and getting 1 or 2 lunchtime rides in ... so no more than an hour each, but could do with some plan to focus on ...

Any ideas please?

Lou

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    In the winter here

If roads are dry and no ice I put lights on and go out in the dark
    Alternatively when roads too bad I alternate between a turbo trainer and rollers. Normally 1 hour sessions and use those sufferfest vids for all but recovery rides. Seems to work OK
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Lou,
    In the winter I aim to ride my 50km round trip commute as many times as possible
    Why?
    Well, I think there is a grain of truth in what the old boys say "winter miles count double"

So I have a commuter bike with Marathon+ tyres and very good lights. As well as the Marathon+ being extremely puncture resistant a training "benefit" is that they weigh about 450g more each than a typical tyre used in events.
    My old commuter bike was a single speed- low maintenance. My new one has an Alfine 8 speed hub- low maintenance

When I worked from home I used to do lunchtime rides. The problem is that an hour or so isn't really long enough. The two most useful ways to spend the hour seemed to be

1) recovery ride/slow ride/leg loosener
    2) 10 mile time trial. The 10 mile time trial itself takes 30 minutes and warming up / having a shower afterwards uses up the rest of the time.

I do have a turbo trainer at home too and have used that a few times during lunch hour. Personally, I don't like turbo sessions: they are boring imho