Your week before a Sportive.

KillerMetre
KillerMetre Posts: 199
So,it's a week before I tackle the Dartmoor Classic my first sportive.What kind of training/rest should I be doing in the coming days?

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    EPO
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    Mostly rest, not much training. Don't do any hard intervals, so keep training in recovery and endurance zones.

Sleep loads (9 hours/night if possible)

I would take a full day off 2 days before.

Otherwise just cut back on the hours you train a lot, the idea is to let your body rest, adapt and get stronger for the event.

Have fun!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    When I have a big Sportive approaching I tend to taper my week's riding. I'll usually do my usual, big ride on Sunday and then ride 3 or 4 more throughout the week, gradually reducing distance/intensity. I try to do a gentle 30 - 40 miles on Friday, rest completely on Saturday and raring to go Sunday )

Works for me - your best bet is to find out what works best for you through trial and error:)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I just ride normally, as long as I have enough time before it to recovery properly, then It'd be fine, I'd still race on a Tuesday, if I had a TT on a Thursday, rather than riding out and back, maybe get a lift, or instead do a short 10 mile on a turbo trainer between 140 and 160bpm.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I try to do a gentle 30 - 40 miles on Friday, rest completely on Saturday and raring to go Sunday )

Most training info I've seen recommends resting Friday and a quick spin on Saturday, either very easy or easy with a few little efforts but each to their own.
    It's a bit late the week before a big event to be asking strangers what to do!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Last couple that I've done I've done a threshold ride on the Monday, tempo rides Tuesday and Wednesday, gentle 1 hour spin Thursday and rest Friday (for events on Saturday). Worked well for me (7th quickest rider in one, quickest in the other).
    More problems but still living....
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    inseine wrote:
    I try to do a gentle 30 - 40 miles on Friday, rest completely on Saturday and raring to go Sunday )

Most training info I've seen recommends resting Friday and a quick spin on Saturday, either very easy or easy with a few little efforts but each to their own.
    It's a bit late the week before a big event to be asking strangers what to do!

Im looking for information on what I shouldn't be doing.At no point did I suggest I could improve my form (which isn't too bad averaging 12 hours a week or the past 5 months) in one week,but i imagine I could certainly damage it with an incorrect build up :roll:
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    You can probably only do damage if you overdo things in the last week. Here's a link to Bike Radar's own 11 week plan that might give you a more generic answer to your question KM.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Most experts seem to say rest for most of the week but do a very short full intensity session right near the event, maybe the day before