Help with home routine and cycling!

theymademedoit
theymademedoit Posts: 34
Hi,
I am looking to get fit and in shape again following years of abuse!
Not really abuse but I let myself go from being in the gym 5-6 days per week to nothing due to busy lifestyle.
I have started to cycle to work and on average I do around 50 miles per week (3/5 days – 18 miles per day).
I am looking to incorporate some weights and exercises into my weekly routine.
I was thinking of cycling 5/5 days (= 90 miles possibly too much?) and do some weights/exercises 3 times per week.
What are some recommendations?
My goals are to lose weight and tone up.
If someone could be kind enough to give me an idea of a routine that would be great. I have only free weights and a flat bench.
Cheers,
Al

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Cycle plenty, rest a fair bit, eat healthily & sensibly - but do not starve. Keep active generally
    Weights ideas -
    Squats, lunges.
    Deadlifts
    Rowing - leaning forward or one armed on bench
    Shoulder presses
    Bench presses
    Chins
    Press ups
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    I take it that is 9 miles each way. 9 miles isn't far on a bike so I would be planning to get up early a couple of days a week and riding a longer route.

Also can you drive in with the bike in the back then ride home a bit longer? Then maybe short ride in the following morning. Build up as you improve and try different intensitites. Any hills en route you can add them in.
  • Brommers76 wrote:
    I take it that is 9 miles each way. 9 miles isn't far on a bike so I would be planning to get up early a couple of days a week and riding a longer route.

Also can you drive in with the bike in the back then ride home a bit longer? Then maybe short ride in the following morning. Build up as you improve and try different intensitites. Any hills en route you can add them in.

It is when you are 19st!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fair point!
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    As long as you are not riding up the side of a mountain you will soon get used to riding that far :D

Still stand by my advice to try to split the rides up and do the odd longer ride though. Good luck with it and hope you get the results you want.
  • Hi all,
    Thought I would give you an update as its now been a month.
    I have been cycling to work 3 days a week (approx 60 miles per week) but this week I am going all out and doing 90+ miles.
    I have been using free weights at home split between Mon, Weds, and Fri covering all the muscle groups.
    My diet has improved and I am having between 2000-2500 calories per day, I have also cut out all booze mid week and only drink red wine at the weekends.
    I have noticed a difference to my shape, however the belly roll at my waste line isn’t shifting much but I think this is always the last to go.
    I was wondering if anyone could think of anything else I could do to improve on my efforts already.
    I was thinking about a high intensity weights routine but not really sure if its possible with just free weights at home…any ideas?
    Anyway, looking forward to some advice,
    Alan
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Well done with the cycling to work. When I first started cycling again last year (age 50, 13st but totaly unfit) I could barely do 5 miles without having to lay down afterwards. Now I regularly do 40-60 miles

Not sure what to suggest about the weights but have you thought about going on longer rides, maybe a different route on the way home or at the weekends.
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    You could certainly look to do a weights 'circuit' incorporating things like lunges, squats, press-ups, push press, plank etc..
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Change is good. A body gets used to fuelling and coping with a regular routine. So having a swap about can help. I used to change my gym routine every 3 months or so it breaks the repetition and can help get off the occasional plateaux.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed