Can I become a better climber?

2»

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Have to report a year ago I was asking the same question. It comes on and gets easier. I am climing much better now and its still getting better. You have to plug away. Getting the weight down has helped, as has extra gym work, but above all else, getting out there on the bike and hitting hills.
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    Never mind your speed on hills. Keep riding them and you'll get fitter and stronger.

I have a horrible hill circuit incorporating 13 climbs (all short) and I've got better at horrible hill climbs.
    I also have a couple of longer climbs (1 hr) and use them now and again.
    I'm better at them too.

I noticed that I also got faster on the flat after a bit of time.

When all's said and done I think the hills have helped me more than the other riding I do.

When I start hurting now in a race or on flat ground I know I can do it a lot harder. Thanks to those wonderful hills.

I forgot. I spin up them. It's all I can do now but I'm getting faster.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    phreak wrote:
    Never mind. Hill repeats are the only way to get better at climbing. Geez, you offer up an alternative point of view and everyone gets all pompous on you :?

Hill repeats?

Do you mean as in, doing a hilly ride with multiple climbs in?

The only way to improve at hills is to do hilly rides, and do them regular. I know some people would say you don't need to do hills, well if I never did hills I'd me crap compared to how I climb at the moment.
  • Freddy2 How long are your cranks?

If they are 172.5mm, they are too long.

If they are 170mm, they might still be too long.

Wait for the howls of protest from people who will claim you need long cranks to get higher torques. No - you need cranks that are short enough to get you quickly over the dead zone when the cranks are vertical. If your knees are too flexed at this point you will grind to a halt.

I'm about your height and fitted 165mm cranks last year. I now spin up hills I used to have to get off on before.

See here for a bit more detail http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm

Mike at BikeDynamics
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Surely instead of messing with mm's on cranks, just lower the saddle?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    Surely instead of messing with mm's on cranks, just lower the saddle?

you mean raise the saddle..not lower..?

either way, I can't see how a difference of 5mm would change much one way or the other. I ride 170mm on my road bike, and 175mm on my MTB - not as the result of any kind of scientific analysis, it's just the way it is. I don't climb any better/worse on one bike compared to the other.

According to that chart I should be on 162.5mm cranks....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm climbing much better now I'm fitter and weigh less.

Not a clue as to why that works.
  • Believe me, when you are 5'7'' or shorter, 5mm on crank lengths can make a big difference. If you fit 5mm shorter cranks, the saddle can go up 5mm without changing the knee angles at the bottom of the stroke. Over the top of the stroke you then get 10mm more space, which more importantly opens up the knee and makes your quads more effective.

You may not notice any difference if you rely on your glutes and stomp on the pedals. If you try and push over the top of the stroke as well, then you will see a benefit.

I'm looking forwards to any other comments about 'messing about with mm's'.

Mike at BikeDynamics
  • Anonymous
    Mike, don't argue with us.

We know what's best, whether it's right or wrong is another matter. ;)

A 5mm adjustment just gave me almost 30watts in last night's TT though...
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm climbing much better now I'm fitter and weigh less.

Not a clue as to why that works.

This works too!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Who's arguing?

Was that 5mm shorter or longer?

Mike
  • Anonymous
    Me, I'm arguing. Grrr.

Raised my saddle another 5mm and forward a little (TT bike)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    See here for a bit more detail http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm
    Seesh, according to that I should be using 162.5 mm cranks too (instead of 172.5), and yet I hate the feeling of cranks that are too short, it's like trying to walk with a 50cm rope tied between your ankles!

What's more, I come far nearer to fitting the "indication(s) that your cranks are too short" than any of the "indications that your cranks are too long" given at the end of the article...

So would I be better off with 180mm? :wink::)
  • Anonymous
    Mine sound just right. :(
  • according to that I should be using 162.5 mm cranks too

By carefull not to confuse inseam with a trouser leg measurement. If the table suggests you need 162.5mm cranks, then you will be around 5'4'' - 5'5''. In which case 180mm cranks will do you no favours at all.

Inseam is measured from crotch to floor.

Mike
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    I'm crap too.

But I put it down to having 28inch thighs and weighing 100kg! I don't think we have many hills over about 70 meters round here either......lots of 'em, but rather short.

Even if I lost 10 kg, I'd still be crap.....just slightly less crap!
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    the alternative point of view scientifically is wrong.

99% of power in cycling is about aerobic capacity and the other 1% is strength in a sprint only.

and no. climbing hills is not the only way to improve climbing.

Just as a dissenting voice, this is an interesting blog post:
    http://alancouzens.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... rance.html

I agree about hill climbing not being the only way to improving climbing though. I surprised myself with how well I went in the Pyrenees by training for (mostly) flat TTs of 1-2h duration. My experience of UK hills is they are either too short or too steep to replicate most climbing in the high mountains.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    By carefull not to confuse inseam with a trouser leg measurement. If the table suggests you need 162.5mm cranks, then you will be around 5'4'' - 5'5''. In which case 180mm cranks will do you no favours at all.

Inseam is measured from crotch to floor.

Mike
    My apologies, I was measuring my inseam inaccurately (just being careless late at night rather than confusing it with trouser length). It's about 85cm ( I'm 5'9"), so that puts me spot on 172.5 which is what I have and what I'm happy with.

Scary though that the Kirby system would have me on 182.5 or even 185...
  • softlad
    likewise - apologies to Mike - I was also using the wrong measurement.. ;)

However, for 80cm, the Kirby scale still puts me on 172.5mm and the TA scale has me on 165mm....so I'm not really any clearer to be honest....
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    nmcgann wrote:
    the alternative point of view scientifically is wrong.

99% of power in cycling is about aerobic capacity and the other 1% is strength in a sprint only.

and no. climbing hills is not the only way to improve climbing.

Just as a dissenting voice, this is an interesting blog post:
    http://alancouzens.blogspot.com/2010/01 ... rance.html

I agree about hill climbing not being the only way to improving climbing though. I surprised myself with how well I went in the Pyrenees by training for (mostly) flat TTs of 1-2h duration. My experience of UK hills is they are either too short or too steep to replicate most climbing in the high mountains.

That's pretty much what I've been trying (and apparently failing) to say :)
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    jacster wrote:
    I agree..mentality is a big factor.
    I used to hate them but now I actively seek out the hardest - and love the feeling of beating it.
    For me technique is key.
    yeah same for me im a pretty tall lad but i still try my hardest as i think my size makes it a tiny bit harder. i enjoyed my ride last saturday so much i done a 19% hill 3 times in a row! lol.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Just curious guys, this is my hillclimb, is it any good no idea what the gradient is.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=think&o ... =en&tab=wl
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    Dazza your map just gives me gobbledy gook.

If you log it on g-map pedometer you can see a profile of your ride - in metric it's easy to work out %'s of climbs.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3775102

This is my local 1/2 hour loop 3x the back road (single track uncategorised) up hill I live on

It's about 1400 metres and climbs from 105 to 249m above sea level I reckon thats about 10% thing is out here hills don't have those 1:10 signs on them, theres too many of them!

Does calories too if you are that way inclined!
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    Actually looking closely its about 2km, so 149m up in 2000m out, anyhow with a calculator and a better brain than mine you can work it out i think.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • freddy2
    freddy2 Posts: 30
    Well, I've started hill reps with first one tonight. Have a route that has two climbs and descents and lasts for 2 miles. There is a break between each climb. Just went at it as hard as I could on each climb and was breathless by the time I reached the top. Did the loop 3 times. Use descents to practice on the drops at speed and that is the fun part. Any tips for a more strucured approach to the training?
  • softlad
    freddy2 wrote:
    Use descents to practice on the drops at speed and that is the fun part. Any tips for a more strucured approach to the training?

best tip I can offer is - accept that the ascent is the fun part, not the descent...