mtb spd's on road bike ?

2»

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    As mentioned on another thread, I've switched to a setup of Crank Brothers Candy SL pedals with Mavic Chasm carbon-soled shoes. This is all MTB kit.

Gives a very solid and large pedal/shoe contact area, but one I can still walk around in. And I prefer the Crank Brothers mechanism to SPDs, as I find them easier to clip out of when I want to, but with no risk of clipping out accidentally. Recessed cleats do it for me.

It's interesting with bikes how there's a tendency for the marketing machines to encourage regular Joes to mimic the racers' "performance 1st" approach in equipment selection, even when that means practicality goes out the window. Witness fellas pushing their double-chainringed road bikes up ultra-steep hills because triples are for poofs, or sliding around on cleats because spuds aren't for roadies, innit. :lol:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    rdt wrote:
    As mentioned on another thread, I've switched to a setup of Crank Brothers Candy SL pedals with Mavic Chasm carbon-soled shoes. This is all MTB kit.

Gives a very solid and large pedal/shoe contact area, but one I can still walk around in. And I prefer the Crank Brothers mechanism to SPDs, as I find them easier to clip out of when I want to, but with no risk of clipping out accidentally. Recessed cleats do it for me.

Phew, thought I was the only one with Crank Brothers on a road bike. Love my egg beaters - easy to get in and out, and never once unclipped by accident.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Can I just clear sometyhing up SYLVIANRUNNING...

Did you use to use the same shoes for both mtn & road but found getting them dry after a muddy ride on the dirt in time for an outing on the road (sometimes the following day) a real ball-ache? Consequently, did you get yourself some nice road shoes and find that all is well?

Coffee over the keyboard moment thanks to this and your following posts :lol:
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage