LEJOG Training Advice

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,318
Hi All

I'm planning to do LEJOG at the end of July, so have about 2 months left to train for it. I was just after some advice on what sort of things you think I should be doing to get ready. I have 9 days if I need them but would like to finish in 7, which would mean in the region of 130 miles a day for a week. It will be a mix of camping and a couple of b&b's for a chance to wash stuff and sleep better.

In the first week of May (couple of weeks ago) I did London to Edinburgh over 7 days which wasn't too hard. Couple of short days (48 miles) but 4 in the 80's. It was tiring but I certainly could have done more. After Sunday off I felt fine on my normal 22 mile round trip to work all this week.

I didn't really follow a plan in getting ready for that though, just regularly cycling to work and extended the ride home now and then, extra laps of Richmond Park, bit of time in the gym etc.

I've cycling 135 in a day before, from London to Norwich, but never consecutively. I plan to try going there one Saturday and back on a Sunday to see what it's like. Maybe London to Bristol and back the next day as well, just so I get more used to doing over 100 miles a couple of days in a row.

Is there anything extra you'd recommend I should be doing, either in terms of cycling or diet? I guess I eat fairly healthily but it's certainly not any kind of structured plan!

The bike I'll be using is a Planet X Kaffenback with rear panniers and handlebar bag.

Thanks for reading!

Sam
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Just put in the hours on the road.

And make sure you don't start the event too tired from your training.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    My self and two mates are planning on doing it starting 24th july - we are however planning to do it over about 14days, so i guess thats taking it easy. Ive just been increasing the frequency of my 30 - 40mile rides to about 3 - 4 a week and a long ride of 60miles or more at least once a week.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think you need to focus more on the long rides. The commutes and shorter rides won't really get you used to spending 8 hours plus on the bike on consecutive days. If it were me I'd be making sure that I could do back to back days of 130 miles over terrain comparable to your hilliest LEJOG days (carrying luggage as well obviously). Once you can do that and feel good enough to do it all again on the third day you'll be fine.
    More problems but still living....