Tour of the Peak District 24/04/10

2»

Comments

• Brakeless wrote:
    heystacky wrote:
    I did the 100 on saturday.only problem was a515 back into Ashbourne the organisers said they had to use.as smaller roads were in bad nick.Snake pass was great no problem with traffic.Well signposted ,plenty of gels ,energy bars at feed stations,£25 well spent.

Joined today. 1 post , mmmmm

mmmmmmmm! my thoughts exactly
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Hrrrm, I seem to remember that when someone last criticized one of the rides he organised a guy popped up who had never made any posts previously and started championing the event, before making threats to people who disagreed with him.

I'm sure the moderators will be looking into whether the IP address is the same.
  • heystacky
    heystacky Posts: 30
    just answered the earlier question,joined today to see other reviews thanks for the link,someone moaning because they couldnt follow an arrow.Never been to peak district before and found scenery and undulating route great,my main hobby is running and you dont get a lot for your money,normally a cup of waterand cheap medal.so am easy pleased :D .
  • heystacky wrote:
    just answered the earlier question,joined today to see other reviews thanks for the link,someone moaning because they couldnt follow an arrow.Never been to peak district before and found scenery and undulating route great,my main hobby is running and you dont get a lot for your money,normally a cup of waterand cheap medal.so am easy pleased :D .

Fair enough :D

You'll find if you do some other events that there are good ones and poor ones.

Believe me when I tell you that you will get a lot more for your £25 if you choose them well.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • red_eye5
    red_eye5 Posts: 57
    I did the ride and having done many other Sportive I would say the organizers could have done several simple tasks which could have helped

1. A quick briefing at the start (especially which way to turn at the race circuit exit since some of us took a right (duh) and ended up adding an extra long climb to get back onto the right course.
    2. Second feed station at 80 miles was way too far out for people that were doing the long course and only planning on stopping once. It should have been at 60/70 miles. I ended up stopping at a corner shop at mile 78 less than 1k away from the feed stop which I thought was non-existent at that point only to find it a short while later.
    3. Some of the roads used were way too busy and we went through some busy towns were it was market day which made it worse. I'm pretty sure these could have been avoided.

I tried to make the most of the day as I drove 100 miles to get to the start. I did enjoy myself bar the above.

I don't think I will do this route again though. :)
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    red_eye5 wrote:
    I did the ride and having done many other Sportive I would say the organizers could have done several simple tasks which could have helped

1. A quick briefing at the start (especially which way to turn at the race circuit exit since some of us took a right (duh) and ended up adding an extra long climb to get back onto the right course.
    2. Second feed station at 80 miles was way too far out for people that were doing the long course and only planning on stopping once. It should have been at 60/70 miles. I ended up stopping at a corner shop at mile 78 less than 1k away from the feed stop which I thought was non-existent at that point only to find it a short while later.
    3. Some of the roads used were way too busy and we went through some busy towns were it was market day which made it worse. I'm pretty sure these could have been avoided.

I tried to make the most of the day as I drove 100 miles to get to the start. I did enjoy myself bar the above.

I don't think I will do this route again though. :)

Was destined to happen, Glossop and Bakewell are both chocka on Saturdays.
  • heystacky
    heystacky Posts: 30
    Fair points by redeye,and thanks for the other advise look forward to doing more events and will be checking these forums again for advise,thanks.
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    was a beautiful day, i didn't do the route but rode out to snake pass to ride up it with the masses a few times. it was superb to see so many riders gunning it up, alas my tyre exploded on the second decent. rest of route does sound a tad dissapointing, shame. hope they get a decent crowd for the tour of the penines, good route, please don't mess it up torreli. i still have a shred of faith.
  • I live in the peakdistrict and did enjoy the ride - it was well signposted compared to any other sportive I've done.
    A fair point about the second drinks stop - it should have been further from the end. I'd run out of water completely 15 miles beforehand.
    Also, there are plenty of ways round buxton on minor roads that would have avoided that particular bottleneck. Would have preferred to get off the long A road into Ashbourne near the end, but have checked and the only viable alternative is closed for road works.
    Would do it again, but a bit more thoughts needs to go into the route.