Tour of the Peak District 24/04/10

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
I'm doing this and talked a mate into coming down after telling him how great the cycling is in the Peaks, but just had a proper look at the route and wow - it looks like crap. I cycle in the Peaks most weekends and there are so many great roads that I've never felt the need to use busy main roads like the A515 and A57. The A57 on a Saturday is not going to be fun.

This route looks lazy and in parts pretty unpleasant to me.
More problems but still living....

Comments

• stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    +1,

the worst that the peak has to offer, on a sunny saturday, rather than the best.

polkadot spud riley is much more like it. so may good quiet lanes in the peak and this avoids them all....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    stagger wrote:
    +1,

the worst that the peak has to offer, on a sunny saturday, rather than the best.

polkadot spud riley is much more like it. so may good quiet lanes in the peak and this avoids them all....

+1 for spud riley.

Hordes of riders thru Buxton, Glossop and Bakewell on a Saturday seems a surefire way of generating loads of complaints IMHO.
  • amaferanga
    Yep I agree 100%. Like I said it looks like a lazy route. I doubt anyone who has actually ridden in the Peaks would choose that route.

Luckily my mate hasn't actually signed up yet so I've decided to skip it and go do a nice ride in the Pennines instead.

Unfortunately I can't get a pass for the weekend of the Spud Riley otherwise I'd definitely be doing it.
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    This I believe is another Torelli event - the very same organisers of the Jodrell Bank event that took place in March. What a sad affair that was. I hope that this week's participants have better luck.

The following thread makes interesting reading!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ht=jodrell

Keep us posted on whether they have learnt any lessons. I sincerely hope you all enjoy the day.
  • Yeah its another torelli ride. I wouldn't touch their spotives with a barge pole. They also have a ride called the tour of lancashire. Which takes you straight through a council estate on along some of the busiest most boring roads you'll ever see ( I ride them all the time). By doing so it misses a fantastic road which takes you through a place called ashworth valley which is full of little short sharp climbs for a total of about 2 mile, its a cracking sportive road which never ever gets used and is country roads all the way. The only high point is that you get to do cragg vale. Yet cragg vale is in yorkshire not lancashire.

I could go on further about how unsuitable most of the route is. It's not worth spending £25 on that's for sure.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • amaferanga
    Bugger, wish I'd known this (and looked more closely at the route) before wasting £25. If there's not even a free cup of tea at the finish then that really is taking the p@ss.
  • After the mess and fall out from the last one maybe he'll be letting everyone have free grub and a brew again at the end? He did on his first one :?

But hey you'll get a couple of free high 5 gels and a good quality bidon to take home with you :D
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    Yep I agree 100%. Like I said it looks like a lazy route. I doubt anyone who has actually ridden in the Peaks would choose that route.

Luckily my mate hasn't actually signed up yet so I've decided to skip it and go do a nice ride in the Pennines instead.

Unfortunately I can't get a pass for the weekend of the Spud Riley otherwise I'd definitely be doing it.

Shame bout Spud Riley, it was hard as f00k last year :)

BTW do you know there is a TLI race at Monyash in the summer??
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Bloody hell it goes all the way along the A57 on a Sunny Saturday. It will be full of motorbikers and cars. Glossop is a nightmare at the best of times. Not clever!
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    Wait a minuit, the a 57, snake pass, is a brilliant climb. Loverly surface and pretty wide with good visability why would you want to miss that out? i did a torrelli event last year and it was fairly good you also get a free curry at the end. think you guys should give the guy another chance and stop the witch hunt.
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    lukasran wrote:
    think you guys should give the guy another chance and stop the witch hunt.

You are correct in that Torelli should be given another chance. However, participants should observe whether lessons have been learnt. The Jodrell Incident may have been just a 'bad day'. If the Tour of the Peak comes up trumps then give credit where credit is due.
  • amaferanga
    lukasran wrote:
    Wait a minuit, the a 57, snake pass, is a brilliant climb. Loverly surface and pretty wide with good visability why would you want to miss that out? i did a torrelli event last year and it was fairly good you also get a free curry at the end. think you guys should give the guy another chance and stop the witch hunt.

It may well be a nice climb (less so from the Sheffield side), but its a busy road on a weekend. And I certainly wouldn't say its wide with good visibility all the way.

I think the point is more that when there are many, many great roads for cycling in the Peaks that would be just as challenging and much less likely to lead to issues with motorists then why pick the A57?

If you want to give it a go then you can have my entry cos I no longer want it.
  • amaferanga
    SheffSimon wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Yeah I'd spotted that. Not entered yet, but planning on doing it. Is it hilly?

Got myself a BC licence now as well after missing out on the TLI Thursday series.
  • lukasran wrote:

I did the event last year to. Their first event and while it was ok it wasn't great. Yes you got hot food at the end which was fantastic. I was looking forward to a much improved event for their second sportive. However they did not improve the quality of their product for the Jodrall bank event it got worse, much worse.

If you think paying £25 for a sportive ( the upcoming tour of lancashire) which takes you through a council estate ( and not a very nice one at that. I can tell you that by experience) and along a host of busy main roads is money well spent. Then more fool you!

I would love nothing more than for Torelli to learn from their mistakes and provide people with the best sportive experience around.
    However based off his past actions,. for which there has not been an apology or anything. Just a lack of respect for people who give him their hard earned money. Then until he can prove otherwise I will warn people of wasting their money on his events.

do a search around on the net you will find many people who felt the organisation etc.. was extremely poor
  • kilotogo
    kilotogo Posts: 29
    This thread has been pointed out to us - The Tour of the Peak is in October. This thread is not our event.[/u]
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Got myself a BC licence now as well after missing out on the TLI Thursday series.

Undulating round that part of Peaks, as I guess you know.

Not sure of the circuit, but last time I raced round there it was hard, lots of short little climbs to sprint up. Still, if it was easy anybody could do it :wink:

There are a couple of BC races near Baslow coming also, have a look at Sheffrec website for info.

Are you riding on Saturday?
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    kilotogo wrote:
    This thread has been pointed out to us - The Tour of the Peak is in October. This thread is not our event.[/u]
    Changed topic to Tour of the Peak District
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • amaferanga
    SheffSimon wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Not sure of the circuit, but last time I raced round there it was hard, lots of short little climbs to sprint up. Still, if it was easy anybody could do it :wink:

There are a couple of BC races near Baslow coming also, have a look at Sheffrec website for info.

I guess you mean the TLI race at Cuckney? Are you? I'd actually forgotten about it. It'll depend on how keen my mate is to go for a ride. I like the sound of the Monyash race though. That and the Baslow races are now in my calendar :)
  • amaferanga
    kilotogo wrote:

Very confusing having two events with such similar names! I'll edit the thread title if I can to make it clearer.
  • amaferanga
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    kilotogo wrote:
    Changed topic to Tour of the Peak District

Ah thanks Jeff - I was just about to do that myself.

My apologies to Kilotogo.
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

I guess you mean the TLI race at Cuckney? Are you? I'd actually forgotten about it. It'll depend on how keen my mate is to go for a ride. I like the sound of the Monyash race though. That and the Baslow races are now in my calendar :)

Yeah riding Saturday, and tonight, and Sunday (BC race at Stainton). Seem to have had a head full of snot for the last few days, might be kill or cure tonight :)
  • amaferanga
    Did anyone do The Tour of the Peak? Just wondering how good/bad it was. Lovely day for it.

I did a race (TLI Cuckney) instead and bloody glad I did as I came 4th :D
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    Did anyone do The Tour of the Peak? Just wondering how good/bad it was. Lovely day for it.

I did a race (TLI Cuckney) instead and bloody glad I did as I came 4th :D

What colour jersey do you race in? I rode at Cuckney on Saturday, in 2nd group
  • amaferanga
    I was wearing a black and gold jersey (Ardbeg Whisky). Second group as well. Spent most of my time near the front as there didn't seem to be many folk prepared to do any work. Hope you didn't get tangled up in the crash?
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    I was wearing a black and gold jersey (Ardbeg Whisky). Second group as well. Spent most of my time near the front as there didn't seem to be many folk prepared to do any work. Hope you didn't get tangled up in the crash?

No mate, heard the crash behind me but didnt realise we had gone clear.

I was in a plain black jersey, and won :D
  • amaferanga
    Nice one! You didn't get much competition from me in the sprint. Only my 3rd race so not really got a race head yet - I just ride as hard as I can and didn't have much left for a sprint....
  • Looking at the cyclosportive website there are a couple of reports maninly saying about the signage being poor again and no food at the end again.
  • heystacky
    heystacky Posts: 30
    I did the 100 on saturday.only problem was a515 back into Ashbourne the organisers said they had to use.as smaller roads were in bad nick.Snake pass was great no problem with traffic.Well signposted ,plenty of gels ,energy bars at feed stations,£25 well spent.
  • heystacky wrote:
    I did the 100 on saturday.only problem was a515 back into Ashbourne the organisers said they had to use.as smaller roads were in bad nick.Snake pass was great no problem with traffic.Well signposted ,plenty of gels ,energy bars at feed stations,£25 well spent.

WOW! your easily pleased :shock:

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=1396 these don't seem to agree :?
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    heystacky wrote:

Joined today. 1 post , mmmmm