Greipel wants to go at end of season!

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Be great to eventually see Cav and Greipel go head to head: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greipel-wants-to-leave-htc-columbia

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I feel sorry for the guy, he sounds modest and hard done by. But that's life, he's in Cav's shadow, it's just a shame Cav can treat people so badly at times.

Anyway, didn't Ciolek say he wanted to step out from Cav's shadow? Look what happened to him. I wish Greipel well but if he just goes to Lotto or BMC, he'll struggle.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I hope I am wrong but cav must be hurting on the family front-that's one of hell of a blow. I don't have a brother in prison but in a state similar, and it robs you of your freedom, of the joy of life at times, wins , whatever. I reckon Cav's outburst against Greipel will be something he genuinely regrets..the guy is under loads of pressure.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Trying to figure out where he would go.

BMC seems logical. How about Rabo. Freire ain't getting any younger.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,064
    Lotto are in the market for a sprinter.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    What about Milram - isn't that where German sprinters go to watch their careers die?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:
    What about Milram - isn't that where German sprinters go to watch their careers die?

They're moooooving on from the sport, arent they?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I hope I am wrong but cav must be hurting on the family front-that's one of hell of a blow. I don't have a brother in prison but in a state similar, and it robs you of your freedom, of the joy of life at times, wins , whatever. I reckon Cav's outburst against Greipel will be something he genuinely regrets..the guy is under loads of pressure.

+1

Suspect this means that Cav has signed for Uncle Bob again, or is on the verge of doing so, and Greipel has thus decided to jump ship. Don't think he's making the wisest career move-better to be the second biggest fish in a nice big pool than the biggest fish in a puddle- but you can't blame him either.

Wonder if he's had a conversation with Gerald Ciolek yet.

D'you think it's worth taking a bet on him joining Sky for a year?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Anyone know if Cavendish is riding the Giro d'Italia this year?
  • Tusher
    No Paul, Cav is California bound, whether he wants to or not.

And he doesn't. But his sponsors are American, it's a big market and he's HTC-Columbia's biggest star, and if they say he's to ride the Tour of Outer Mongolia, or wherever, then that's where he'll go.

Greipel gets the Italian gig.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Perhaps he genuinely thinks he can challenge? The key, of course, is finding a team, who will provide the necessary support to get him into the right position, of which HTC are expert. The more compeition there is for Cav the better - it is rather boring watching the HTC train dessimate the opposition and deliver him to 200m of the line...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I agree with Tusher could see Sky take a punt for a year with him.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Timoid. wrote:
    Trying to figure out where he would go.

BMC seems logical. How about Rabo. Freire ain't getting any younger.

Katusha maybe ? Robbie Mac is at the end of his career and Napolitano is third tier for me, so definately space for him there.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Tusher wrote:
    Suspect this means that Cav has signed for Uncle Bob again, or is on the verge of doing so, and Greipel has thus decided to jump ship.

pretty sure Cav is already under contract with Stapleton through to the end of 2011.
  • Tusher
    He has the option to sign for another year, and is presently re-negotiating his contract, and apparently asking for a pay-rise as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    Tusher wrote:
    He has the option to sign for another year, and is presently re-negotiating his contract, and apparently asking for a pay-rise as well.

He made it clear to Bob Stapleton today that he wants TWO million euros.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,064
    Ha! :lol:

That's loose change for Sideshow Bob mind.
  • Tusher
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Wow, hot off the press and everything! Do you think he'll get it, or is he just starting high?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    Tusher wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Wow, hot off the press and everything! Do you think he'll get it, or is he just starting high?

I wasn't being serious. I was suggesting a new angle to what his 'celebration' today meant.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Yup. Possible, very possible. :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I'm surprised Greipel hasn't been snapped up before now. He is a prolific sprinter bringing lots of publicity to the team through his wins and although he hasn't necessarily proved himself at the very highest level, who knows what he can do. I think it will be good for the spectators if Cav and Greipel are on different teams as the head to heads will hopefully be exciting.

3522060734_78584b9ee5_o.jpg
    9520_131727383484_683993484_2457962.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Those legs are ridiculous!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Those legs must generate enough power to escape the earth's gravitational pull.

I agree I can't understand why he hasn't been poached. I really hope he has a good Giro and scoops some stages.

BTW how many watts will he generate when he lights the blue touchpaper?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition