First "proper" bike - Iron Horse =)

ryan93
ryan93 Posts: 186
edited April 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hey all!! Got this bike about 3 years ago at Christmas after reading MBUK and starting mtbing at school. Since then I've upgraded the parts as they wore out and when I got new parts at Christmas :D

Started off looking like this ...

DSC00267.jpg

Then became this ... But since then I've changed more parts ... Hope you like it :D

DSCF1370.jpg

Spec list:

Frame: IronHorse Warrior 4.0 5" 2007.
Shock: Fox Vanilla.
Fork: Rockshox Revelation 426 with lockout.
Headset: AHeadset.
Crankset: Shimano SLX Double ring with bashguard, Hollowtech II BB.
Cassette: SRAM 8-spd.
Chain: SRAM 8-spd.
Pedals: Shimano M540 (from MBUK).
Brakes: Shimano SLX with 160mm rotors.
Shifters: Shimano SLX.
F.Wheel: Unbranded alloy hub, WTB SX24.
R.Wheel: Shimano XT 6-bolt, DT Swiss S/S spokes, Mavic EN321.
F.Mech: Shimano SLX.
R.Mech: Shimano Shadow SLX.
Stem: Ritchey.
Seatpost, bars and seatclamp: Ironhorse.
Saddle: Selle Italia

Hopefully I'll be able to get a front wheel from Merlin to match the rear one and then some new Maxxis High Rollers to replace the Ignitors :D

Just a question too, would the 2.35 High Rollers have a higher or lower rolling resistance than 2.1 Ignotors? I tried my dads 2.35 Ignitors and they felt alot slower and made the whole bike feel sluggish. Would this be the same with the High Rollers or would they be different because of the different tread patterns?? Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Decent looking bike, no idea about the tyres though. You should get an air shock for it! It'll make it so much lighter! New brakes too ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    Thanks man! Got the SLX brakes at Christmas with a few other bits and pieces. Just need to get a good pic of it all on the bike now, those were taken last year.
    As for a rear shock I was looking at Rock Shox's Monarch range, but a few guys in my lbs have said they're over priced and I should get a Fox air shock.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Hey Ryan. Nice bike! Wish I had the option of mtbing when I was at school!

Your question about the highrollers: The Highrollers in 2.35 (especially a super ticky 42a compound) will have a higher rolling resistance to your ignitors which are generally seen as 'quick' tyres. They will also be a little bit heavier too. However, the highroller will beat the ignitor every time in terms of out and out grip - they are a favorite tyre from the 2.1 XC versions to the 2.5/2.7 downhill tyres. Depend on what you want to do, if you want to loon it up on some descents then its worth considering a highroller up front (and even rear) but if cross country is more your thing for any given day - stick with the ignitors. I have about 8 different individual tyres ranging from dry xc tyres to downhill tyres and then options for wet weather too. You don't need that many but another set of tyres does give you the ability to pick and choose your grip depending on what your doing..

Also - go for a fox float on a budget but if you can stretch it an RP 2 or RP23 are execellent rear shocks.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Oh nice one, I didn't read the spec list, yeah SLX brakes are great for the money. You can't go far wrong with fox shocks, an RP2 or RP23 would be perfect, as the previous poster mentioned. The new x-fusion stuff is supposed to be good for the money as well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I'd personally go 2,35 high roller every time, but it does depend on the riding you do. Another option might be 2.35 Ardent as they as apparently faster rolling than high rollers, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. Whatever you do, don't go for "super tacky" anything as we're coming into summer so you won't need the grip and the extra rolling resistance is ridiculous.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160