Clothing for the road - beginner advice

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Hello,
Just purchased my new bike over the weekend including a helmet, mitts, pedals and shoes… seriously overspent! Anyhow, I don’t have any suitable clothing for the road. I would to go for a type of bib short, base layer, jersey and a jacket for the unpredictable weather. Could I possible get all off the above for around 100 pounds? Or less?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice

Trevor

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    The jacket might be pushing it, but if you restricted yourself to a wind/showerproof you could probably do it for about £100. A good place to start would be Wiggle's dhb brand, or the Aldi specials.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    My first bit of kit came from Sport and Soccer - on a tight budget!

Karrimor branded padded shorts with matching cycling jersey and a dayglo orange jacket. All came in for around £30.

Has lasted well - shorts comfortable after 50 mile cycle. The jacket keeps the wind off, has me seen from space (!) and works well with plenty of pocket space.

Seriously if you are on a tight budget and just need to get some kit to get you started the Karrimor stuff is worth a look. That is if you don't mind lining the pockets of the NUFC chairman! Certainly equal to if not netter than the Aldi stuff.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    There's a sale at Lidl's at the mo!
    Get your jacket there, they're not too bad. That'll leave you with enough cash to get some budget bibs & a base.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I just got some shorts from Shutt http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/search.php?id=32
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Try Prendas Cyclismo http://www.prendas.co.uk/default.asp
    The stuff they do is top notch and there are often end of line bargains to be had. The Santini stuff is excellent! 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • Sorry to add to your list, but at this time of year I would add some roubaixcknee and arm warmers as well...
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    thanks for all the great info... will spend some time while in the office doing my research :) i was looking at wiggle brand dhb bib shorts, as theylooked very reasonable, but i seem to be on the borderline between two sizes... in this case should you always opt for the larger size? lol.

arm and leg warmers are def on the list... its snowing like crazy here today .
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I am borderline between 2 DHB sizes and went for the larger one, but with hindsight think I should've gone smaller. Lycra is pretty stretchy. Now I have bib tights with a bit of a Norah Batty effect.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,612
    tbeat wrote:
    thanks for all the great info... will spend some time while in the office doing my research :) i was looking at wiggle brand dhb bib shorts, as theylooked very reasonable, but i seem to be on the borderline between two sizes... in this case should you always opt for the larger size? lol.

arm and leg warmers are def on the list... its snowing like crazy here today .

if you are just getting into serious riding then go for the smaller size shorts, unless you're already slimmed down the riding could take at least an inch or two off the waist
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Hi welcome to cycling, the Aldi stuff is fantastic, I have been wearing it for a few years now. If you are near a Decathlon store, their stuff is good and they have a range of priced kit, normally the Blue range shorts aren't too great but the shirts are worth a look.

If you look at the clearance areas of most of the main online shops you might be able to find a few bargains. I got a couple of pairs of Bontrager team bib shorts for £30 a piece down from £60 from JeJames, these are the pro short replicas. One pair of Astana and one pair of Gary Fisher team.

I hope that helps
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Ive bought from these guys:

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/

Check out the value bundles: http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... ck-ii.aspx

£32 for shorts/jersey/gloves.

Yes the quality isnt up there with the big brand stuff but its better than the price would imply.

£100 would go a long way with them, and you could start to build up decent kit as and when funds allow. Personally I find shorts the most important purchase to get right given as they will dictate how comfortable you are more than anything else clothing wise
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I mix a bit and go by quality not name.
    For example the base layers in sports and soccer are hard to beat for quality and value for money.
    Shorts are not so easy to get quality cheap and nalinin santini and a few others people may reccomend are normally £50+
    Jackets I get from ebay and have bought 2 assos air block jackets winter) , verry good condition for £60 each also assos intermediate for £50 and recently for my daughte a great assos airjack for £70 but I would not pay £190 for one :D
    As some one metioned arm and knee warmers are great for spring/autumn and early morning summer rides, I get on wekl with the santini ones from prendas and use them on the track also, good fitting and dont ride down.
  • I started off with some Altura Stream shorts (£16) and a jersey and mitts from Prendas Ciclismo (£32 for both). Got shoes from CRC (£30 - Diadora Aeros) and that was it. Fortunately it was summer, but I have gradually built up my stuff over the last few months, when money has allowed, to included bib tights, windproof jersey, thermal socks, more shoes, base layer, skull cap, windproof jacket, long sleeved jersey etc, etc, etc. I just asked family for money for birthday and Christmas and used that towards the stuff I wanted.
    I have got a Crane jacket from Aldi but that's going spare now as I've got the new one, but it was fine for the rides I did do with it, so a thumbs up for the Aldi stuff.

A good search of the internet and you'll find some bargains out there to get you going.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team