Willesden CC? Twickenham CC? Archer RC?

holybinch
holybinch Posts: 417
Hey guys/girls,

I'm thinking of joining a club sometime next month.
The clubs mentioned above are the ones closer to where I live (Ealing) and I was wondering if there were any members of either that could give me some more detailed info on the club atmosphere, etc?

Thanks in advance
FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris

Comments

• Clemsy
    Clemsy Posts: 7
    I also live in Ealing and joined Twickenham CC last autumn, really good atmosphere, very welcoming, (very patient) why not come along to the saturday ride for a couple of weeks, (details on TCC website) if you enjoy it you can join. I bet Willsden and Archer have a similar approach to prospective new members.
  • Clemsy
    I also live in Ealing and joined Twickenham CC last autumn, really good atmosphere, very welcoming, (very patient) why not come along to the saturday ride for a couple of weeks, (details on TCC website) if you enjoy it you can join. I bet Willsden and Archer have a similar approach to prospective new members.
  • holybinch
    Clemsy: from what I read on their website, the TCC are more focused on racing than some other clubs.
    I'd fancy a try at racing, probably next year but wouldn't wan't to "not fit in"
    What do you think about that point?

As well, what is the general group size for the rides?

I might join you guys for a ride or 2, but not until the VI Nations' s over :)

• Clemsy
    Yeah, definitely race focused but not exclusively.I am a fairly new member but my
    understanding is there are plenty of members like me who haven't the time or inclination to race. I joined to be fit enough for the etape du tour this july. As the 40 something father of 3 small children I won't be racing any time soon and no-one seems to have a problem with that.

I would say from my experience there is a real mixture of characters on a club run, from 17 year old hot shots to grizzled veterans. No-one gets left behind, generally there will be a fast and a slow group, obviously there is a minimum level of ability but looking at your bikes I would expect you would be fine. The saturday run I have ridden varies from 6-7 people to 25+.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    TBH I don't think you would go too far wrong with any of those clubs. If you are in west London, another few others to consider would be the Hounslow & District Wheelers, Edgware RC or Hillingdon CC....

Certainly not short of clubs in that area...
  • holybinch
    Brilliant, thanks a lot guys, will probably give TCC and/or WCC a try then :)