New bars - width

forgotrafe
forgotrafe Posts: 637
edited March 2010 in XC and Enduro
I had the opportunity to get a set of Easton MonkeyLite XC Carbon bars at about half price (totally legit) so I took it.

They are 685mm wide - 50mm wider than my current bars which I've had since I got back on a bike some three years ago - so it's what I know rather than what I know is good.

I ride XC mainly, there is some tight singletrack but nothing that I suspect an inch less clearance will matter on.

Shoulder width - I am quite broad and as best as I can tell, the new bars are slightly less than 6" wider than my shoulders.

So question is, should I try running the new bars at their full width for a bit? Or just cut them down to 635 before fitting?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DMRrider95
    DMRrider95 Posts: 212
    yeah try them you cant stick bits back on if you change your mind
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above. I have some 720 mm bars and I still find myself riding with my hands on the ends.
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    you may find that your handling is a bit slower or you catch trees more than you used to. If it becomes a problem it should be fine to cut them down a bit. It may be worth checking if easton bars have re-inforced clamping zone at the ends though...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I run 745mm bars on my xc bike and they are great!

Try them for a few rides before you decide to cut them down. I was forever hitting my new bars off stuff after coming from 630mm but stuck with it and will never go below 700mm again