Child seat

ant41
ant41 Posts: 59
Grateful for any advice people on here can offer. I have looked on similar threads but can'tfind the right answer.

I am normally a roadie but am about to buy a MTB, primarily to be able to take my daughter out for rides (she is just over 2) and I need to get a bike that will fit a rear child seat However, I also want a bike suitable for trail riding and the like. Halfords have some good deals at the moment on the GT Aggressor XC3 and the Carrera Vulcan Disc spec (both hardtail with disc brakes) but I have no idea wheher they will fit a child seat. In particular, the angles of the GT frame make it look as if it would be a tricky fit, even if I get a seat specifically for disc brake set up. I don't want to buy a bike and then find I can't fit a seat to it as it would be a huge waste of money.

Can anyone out there help?
Bonking is fun . . . but not on the bike.

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    What kind of child seat do you have in mind?

If you are looking at one like the Hamax Siesta, Halfords do stock them. You can ask them to fit them to the bike in the store.

Looking at the GT Aggressor, their double-triangle frame means the child anchor, which fits on the seat tube, would be very low on the frame.

I would go for a more traditional design.

Disc brakes should not be an issue.

What could be an issue, is if the front derailer's cable sits on the seat tube. If it does, it can make positioning of the anchor a problem.
  • ant41
    I was looking at the Topeak Babysitter II but it is v expensive. It just seemed to be the only one that was made specifically for a bike with disc brakes (I think the rack is slightly different?). I have £75 wiggle vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and want to use them - I need to buy one that is available on both wiggle (and preferably halfords so they can tell me in shop if it will fit)
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    For the benefit of others who might read this thread, the Topeak Babysitter is similar to the Hamax Plus: they use their own rack system to mount the seat on top of it. Unlike the Hamax Siesta or any other seat tube mounted seats, they don't require the bike to have a traditional frame.

Provided you are happy with the Topeak rack it is going to need, and that you have verified compatibility with pannier and rack bags you will mount on it, I don't see any problem.

Another option from Wiggle is the Co-pilot range which apparently comes with a more standard rack.

One caveat is that the bike you are going to attach the rack to has eyelets and mounting points for a rear rack.

Most low-end hard tail MTBs do.

My son is on the 75th percentile for weight and height at 3 1/2 yo: he still fits on the seat, *but* I am now starting to find him too heavy to carry around safely when manouvering around some cycle tracks.

We have now opted for a Trail-gator and we are are extremely happy with it.
  • ant41
    I've just been to have a look. The GT Aggressor doesn't have the eyelets required near the hub on the rear triangle and the rear cable also runs down the seat tube. As far as I could tell (and the chap in the shop) this means it won't fit either a seat clamp style seat or one requiring a pannier.

Looks like it is the Carrera . . .

Thanks for your advice
  • My other halfs son is looking for a bike to take his daughter (almost 2) out on. He has been given a rear child's seat so popped into LBS. They suggested an aluminium hardtail. I can see the reason for a hardtail but not ali. What does anyone else suggest?
    I use a Halfords trailer I got off ebay for when we take her out. If I can get another of the old style fixing brackets he can borrow trailer.
    I assume you understand that we have options on your time,
    And will ditch you in the harbour if we must.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    They make MTBs pretty tough. A LOT tougher than the requirements for a child's seat. Aluminium would be fine, IMHO.

I would question whether an MTB would be the right bike. Generally, suspension on cheaper MTBs is rubbish, and just adds weight. Think about where it's going to be ridden. Unless really rough stuff is going to be a part of it, solid forks, and a more upright riding position could be better. Also think about standover height, as getting on/off with a kid in a seat can be 'fun'.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Johndeere
    Johndeere Posts: 3
    Just make sure you go alloy, who wants to be lugging steel around!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Johndeere wrote:
    Just make sure you go alloy, who wants to be lugging steel around!

Steel is real man!

(In all honesty, if you want some thing last, like, forever, it's worthwhile investigating. Modern steel is often made really well. Vintage steel, doublely-so... if it's at the higher price range).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike