Anyone with a power meter and Tacx Antares rollers ?

robrauy
robrauy Posts: 252
I was thinking that there can't be *too* much frictional difference between different people's set ups using these rollers. I haven't got access to any power measuring equipment but am quite keen to know an approximation of my FTP...

I currently do 2x20s at between 27 and 29 mph, trying to maintain 28mph. I haven't dared have a go at doing a whole hour at this speed, but think it is possible..

So... If anyone happens to notice their power output at around this speed, I'd be very grateful to know :)

Many thanks !

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the only way of knowing your FTP is to test it-you can't guesstimate it as everyone is different.

My FTP is 232w and that was at an ave. speed of 24.2 mph if that is of any use to you.
    That was done on Tacx Satori so couldn't give you anything on using Antares rollers, And my settings are on number 3 the Antares don't have any resistance AFAIK.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    There's massive difference even depending on the tyre you're using and the pressure.

I have a PowerTap and a set of said rollers. I use a Conti trainer tyre and about 100 psi. Even then the resistance seems to be very high.

I'm usually riding in about 50x19 or similar, so not one of th ehuge gears. Still, on a recent one hour effort I averaged 240 W at only 25 kph!

Unless you've done some calibration on your set-up there's little point trying to compare.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Won't things like tyre pressure, etc affect the numbers greatly?
  • robrauy
    Hi,

No not harsh at all. The fact that the Antares rollers don't have a complicated resistance unit is what makes me think that there will be little variation from one set to the next...

I agree it would be best to do a proper test, and I know that my idea is not going to be hugely accurate!

Probably a daft idea :oops:
  • robrauy
    DaveyL wrote:
    There's massive difference even depending on the tyre you're using and the pressure.

I have a PowerTap and a set of said rollers. I use a Conti trainer tyre and about 100 psi. Even then the resistance seems to be very high.

I'm usually riding in about 50x19 or similar, so not one of th ehuge gears. Still, on a recent one hour effort I averaged 240 W at only 25 kph!

Unless you've done some calibration on your set-up there's little point trying to compare.

Hmmm... Didn't consider tyre pressure. Guess I'll have to do this properly!
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Why not rent a Powertap for a month or twofrom Bob Tobin at http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dave35 wrote:
    Why not rent a Powertap for a month or two from Bob Tobin at http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/

Because the minimum rental period is 3 months. ;)

(But totally worth doing it)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Interestingly, and despite what's been said and i'm sure is true, the figures that the 2 Daves give seem to be very much in agreement. 232w = 24.2 and 240w =25 . Makes your 28mph look pretty good!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    inseine wrote:
    Interestingly, and despite what's been said and i'm sure is true, the figures that the 2 Daves give seem to be very much in agreement. 232w = 24.2 and 240w =25 . Makes your 28mph look pretty good!

Not really, one was on a turbo and in MPH, the other was on rollers and in KPH ;)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Pokerface wrote:
    dave35 wrote:
    Why not rent a Powertap for a month or two from Bob Tobin at http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/

Because the minimum rental period is 3 months. ;)

(But totally worth doing it)

I think there's about a 2 month wait as well.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I did this on my Antares rollers. Av HR about 86% HRmax (for the 'on' bits).

Now I have a PT, but no rollers :?

Guess my ftp....
    More problems but still living....
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Not really, one was on a turbo and in MPH, the other was on rollers and in KPH

Details..................... :oops:
  • robrauy
    amaferanga wrote:
    I did this on my Antares rollers. Av HR about 86% HRmax (for the 'on' bits).

Now I have a PT, but no rollers :?

Guess my ftp....

IF(!) there's any correlation between our setups, then it looks like you're a bit quicker than me!

Nice work keeping it going for an hour :shock:

Interesting how your HR remains fairly constant - I go from around 80% MHR by the middle of the first 20 in a 2x20 to around 90+% by the end of the second for a constant speed...

Guess I'll have to give the full hour a go...
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    I know I can't get a decent workout on mine, so I don't have any data at a high power.

Warming up on Sunday I was doing 42kph for 180W on my Tacx Antares. I think that show's that if the other examples are correct, there can be a good bit of difference in resistance per setup.

My example was with fairly fast rolling clinchers at 120psi. Power measured with a PowerTap.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    If you compare 23mm tires at the same pressure, I can't imagine the power output would be more than 20w (at most) different would it? I guess there could be some differences if one person had a drastically worse pedalling style too...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I suspect rider weight causes a difference as well, I'm at the higher end of the spectrum :D

It is really hard for me to warm up on the rollers, as even pedalling slowly in a low gear, with a speed <10 kph, I'm still generating ~150 Watts. I might have to grease my tyres :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    This may help or not. Although you won't know the power but if you keep a training record and do regular identical training rides you can then check the mileage to tell if you are improving or not.
    I warm up for 2 miles (on the rollers)up to 75% hr max then hit the timer and raise to just under 90% for 5 mins back down to 75% for 2 mins and repeat 3 times. I then end up with a mileage of about 12 1/2 miles. At the moment it's on the increase so I'm happy :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • robrauy
    John C. wrote:
    This may help or not. Although you won't know the power but if you keep a training record and do regular identical training rides you can then check the mileage to tell if you are improving or not.
    I warm up for 2 miles (on the rollers)up to 75% hr max then hit the timer and raise to just under 90% for 5 mins back down to 75% for 2 mins and repeat 3 times. I then end up with a mileage of about 12 1/2 miles. At the moment it's on the increase so I'm happy :lol:

At the moment I'm mainly doing 2x20s and keeping speed rather than HR as a constant, but I like the idea of tracking mileage as well... Anything to keep things more interesting... I do need to get a bit more creative with my workouts - Think I may end up buying a turbo soon to add resistance in to the mix!