Do you always put the same foot down when you stop?

2»

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I use my third leg.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I agree with Roastie, I rarely put a foot down, however this is getting tougher as they are increasingly removing the crash barriers/railings at major junctions in London, I think to reduce the number of cyclists getting squished against them by juggernauts. Shame really, they were very handy to lean against at lights whilst remaining clipped in.

I can do a bit of a track stand, but not for that long, eventually I need to put a foot down if the lights don't change. If I do put a foot down, it's the left. I think that's largely because I don't want to put my foot out in front of the traffic and the left foot can be placed on the curb if you're near enough. Also if you fumble and fall, if you are leaning towards the left, you fall on the pavement rather than into the middle of the road in front of traffic.

I must admit though, I've been more and more aware of over using specific sides of my body and a few months back I tried consciously putting the right foot down for a while. I also tried moving my mouse at work to the left and carrying bags with my left hand. It's not as hard as you think, after a while you get used to it. All apart from the mouse which is a nightmare to use with the left hand.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    King Donut wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    King Donut wrote:
    Does it cause one cleat to wear out quicker?

Oh yes. And one shoe (around the toe). And one toe cover, etc...

I always wondered! It's the other reason I try to alternate.

The closest I ever come to a clipless moment is when I spend too long trying to remember what foot I put down last time

Yep - definitely wears the cleat and overshoe down more on my right side. I used to alternate for this reason, but obviously not often enough. And, now, I find myself unclipping my right a lot more. I think it's since I switched to SPDs for the commute from SPD-SLs - I find it harder to clip in with the left on the former for some reason.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I don't have a preference, I sometimes unclip the left, sometimes the right. I think this is because I started off riding purely off road on mountain bikes so had to be able to unclip with quick reactions on both sides as the terrain or fall dictated.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    I always put my Right Foot down!! Tipeetoes on the ground when i stop.
    Feels right to me :D:D
  • depends which way I fall off
  • supersonic wrote:
    I just trackstand - and use flats.

my commute bike has flats, when I use the roadie for longer commutes the constant clipping in and out drives me potty has to be said.
  • left foot to put down, partly cos right hip doesn't like to twist. just feels really weird now to unclip right foot.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I'm spoilt for choice...Olly the Octopus.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,758
    As regards the "using one leg more then the other" issue, I tend to put the most effort in on the second stroke - i.e. left foot down, right clipped-in; push down but not too hard with right whilst clipping in left; as left comes round to 10 o'clock push hard. I started doing this after my right knee played up a couple of years ago and it stuck. You need to have your gearing right, so you can almost pull away seated, but I reckon this saves your knees a bit as you put the real effort in once you are already moving, what with having overcome your rolling resistance/limiting friction.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    I like to minimise the variables for what are near-subconscious actions and almost always unclip on the same side although some times in quiet conditions I will go the other way simply to maintain muscle memory.

I see that a lot of posters appear to sit on the saddle at lights etc and push off from there. Sometime in my early days of cycling (last yr) I saw an American video for training regular commuters that counselled coming off the saddle and standing. That is what I do if I cannot use the kerb because I find standing tippytoes is a great strain on the thighs.

All of the above includes an answer to the qn and asks another - is getting off the saddle and standing good practice?
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I saw this on Oprah last week.

It should depend which country you're in. You should mount and dismount the bike from the pavement side to avoid standing in the road. This is mentioned in the Bikeability course so little kids, who often drop the bike or fall when getting on and off will fall away from traffic. Therefore, in the UK, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Malaysia etc. you should mount and dismount (and so unclip) from the left. In countries where they drive on the right you should do the opposite. So if you live in the UK and unclip the right foot first you are endangering yourself and other road users, as well as being weird. :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Always the left. Occasionally try the right and feel VERY odd and like I'm going to fall, ug. I think it's too late for me.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Lefty - has to be. It's not British otherwise ....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Always put my left foot down and can't remember ever consciously thinking about it, but using the right leg just feels wrong! Worst moment I've had was when a bolt had come out of my left cleat so I couldn't unclip my left foot (the cleat just rotated as I twisted my foot!). Felt like I spent ages on a wobbly track stand before I thought to unclip on the right :oops:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Face first. :oops:

No not really, right first, otherwise it would be British.
  • I go both ways. Snerk.

But it's just to practice so I don't get surprised when I'm off road and can't go to the right.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    birdy247 wrote:
    I do, and since riding a single speed, I have noticed the side I always leave clipped in (my left), is probably doing more work than the right from the off.

Is it important to switch which side you leave clipped in?

1. No

2. I always put the right foot down to account for the road camber, and always have done since 1963, on bicycle or motorcycle. Putting the left down feels very weird.

However, if you take a motorcycle test now you are expected to put your left foot down as this allows you to use your right foot to cover the rear brake.

This in turn leads to the faintly ridiculous dance you see learner motorcyclists doing at traffic lights to put the bike into and out of gear :)

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Left foot on the ground every time, usually after my impressive 1.5 second (wobbly) track-stand.

If the bike is stationary, mount and dismount from the left.
    But
    If it's a rolling mount or dismount (more likely on my MTB) then it's always to the right.

Perhaps that's because I can't kick a football with either foot.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Bit of an odd thread....Its like saying, what hand do you use to wank?
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    missmarple wrote:

Left foot for that too :D
  • missmarple wrote:

Both....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Both feet and both hands, depending on which bike I'm riding. Hands down for the recumbent, either side, as that makes for a much quicker getaway when the lights change. Either foot with the fixed upright.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    BentMikey wrote:
    Both feet and both hands, depending on which bike I'm riding. Hands down for the recumbent, either side, as that makes for a much quicker getaway when the lights change. Either foot with the fixed upright.
    I thought you were answering the most recent question and started trying to think how it would be possible :wink:
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Dudu wrote:
    2. I always put the right foot down to account for the road camber, and always have done since 1963, on bicycle or motorcycle. Putting the left down feels very weird.

However, if you take a motorcycle test now you are expected to put your left foot down as this allows you to use your right foot to cover the rear brake.

This in turn leads to the faintly ridiculous dance you see learner motorcyclists doing at traffic lights to put the bike into and out of gear :)

PP

But to be fair, a motorbike in the sixties probably would've had a left foot brake, right foot gear change.