Do you always put the same foot down when you stop?

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I do, and since riding a single speed, I have noticed the side I always leave clipped in (my left), is probably doing more work than the right from the off.

Is it important to switch which side you leave clipped in?

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Not really.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I'm "left footed" so tend to mount with my left leg first, and put the right down on stopping.

Just personal preference I think. Doesn't matter which way, unless I'm doing that Cyclocross mount, where I could get a shin-full of chainset!!!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Dunno... but always left foot down for me.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    Always left foot too. Saves having to think about which foot to unclip before I fall over.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Always put left foot down.

Can't do it otherwise, feels soooooo wrong.

Similarly, I can only get on my bike from the left.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Put my right foot down first. Started because, with the camber in the road, I can just put a toe down whilst still on the saddle (can't do that on the left foot).

I also get on/off the bike on the left. I gather that one is historical & goes back to wearing a sword & getting on/off a horse (& is also the roots why we drive on the left).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think its important to always unclip on one side - it enhances motor learning so that you don't make the mistake of leaning one side, unclipping the other. Me, always left, leaning away from traffic, right foot at 11 O'clock ready to go.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Coriander wrote:

I was about to mock you in a condescending manner upon discovering your latent OCD ism (yes it's a word - I've just made it up so nuh)

...and then I realised I do the same... :oops: :roll: :lol:

However I always put my right foot down (when clipped otherwise it's just whatever is there when it's time to stop)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • This is a critical issue so I'm glad someone has finally had the balls to address it in a thread :)

I try to alternate feet just to keep them fresh. It's purely in my head, but it feels like the clipped in foot goes numb if i put the same foot down each time.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I use either depending on many different factors, but I guess I favour putting the left leg down
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Think it's the left foot takin the lead, as you're all probaly "right footed".
    But as a left footed ball kicker, the right just feels right to me.

But, I write right handed, but eat left handed...go figure!

Mate of mine did a Sports Science degree, and his dissitation was "Differences between Left and Right handed tennis player."
    Conclusion: there was no difference...
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I very rarely, if ever, put a foot down on the commute. :P

But if I do, it is usually the left.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Left foot always - that way if you have a 'moment' you fall on to the pavement, not the road.
    Cycling weakly
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Left foot also - 100% of the time
    Still breathing.....
  • Coriander wrote:

Exactly the same here!

I go through phases of trying to use the other foot, it just feels so weird! Sometimes because of the fixie I have to, but I don't like it...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I put my right foot down as it allows my dominant (left) leg to stamp on the pedals when setting off again
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Always put my right foot down. On the one occasion when I tried left foot down (must have been bored), I just couldn't clip in for ages :oops:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Right foot down to stop, clip left foot in first to push off, right handed and left footed (at football), crazy mixed up person.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Mount & dismount from the left - always. Right foot down - always. Right footed and right handed.
    birdy247 wrote:
    I do, and since riding a single speed, I have noticed the side I always leave clipped in (my left), is probably doing more work than the right from the off.

Perhaps. My left side - calf, hamstring, lower and upper back - consistently has tighter and knottier muscle tissue.
    skyd0g wrote:
    Left foot always - that way if you have a 'moment' you fall on to the pavement, not the road.

Ah, this old chestnut. I unclip on the right to stop me falling into the road. If I'm getting my foot out, I won't fall that way, and reflexively in an emergency that will be first foot out.

OTOH, I have (once) unclipped on the right, but stopped with my weight just off dead-centre - to the left. I keeled over to the left, utterly unable to stop myself, because unclipping fast on the left wasn't second nature. Reverse that and put me in traffic, and it could have been nasty.

You can, admittedly, go round and round in circles on this point for some time.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Does it cause one cleat to wear out quicker?
  • King Donut wrote:
    Does it cause one cleat to wear out quicker?

Oh yes. And one shoe (around the toe). And one toe cover, etc...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If I didn't always put my left foot down. Something terrible would happen like the World exploding.

That, or I'd forget what way to lean and just fall over.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    If I didn't always put my left foot down. Something terrible would happen like the World exploding.

That, or I'd forget what way to lean and just fall over.

:lol:

I always come closest to clipless moments when I've put the wrong foot down...
  • Greg66 wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

I always wondered! It's the other reason I try to alternate.

The closest I ever come to a clipless moment is when I spend too long trying to remember what foot I put down last time
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    i always put my right foot down cos i have got more power with my left leg to push off.

probably because i am left foot for football also.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • King Donut wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

I always wondered! It's the other reason I try to alternate.

The closest I ever come to a clipless moment is when I spend too long trying to remember what foot I put down last time

That is the cue for the classic clipless moment. Often caused by a distraction or three: a junction, a ped, a car, a pothole ... too many things to think about and the unclipping gets bottom billing.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    skyd0g wrote:
    +1

But also because I stop next to the kerb so I can rest my foot on it so I don't end up looking like a 5 year old trying to get on a teenagers bike.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Null - you are SOOOOOOO wrong and right at the same time.

The "worst" clipless I've had (or not had, as I didn't actually come off, mercifully) is when I was filtering past lots of traffic on the outside of the traffic as one should, but I then went over, lost balance and tried to stop because of one of those horrid broken speed bumps so the adverse camber lent me over into the oncoming traffic. I couldn't spot the speed bump properly as it was mostly under the car I was passing.

And you've guessed it I couldn't unclip my right foot..... I thought I was going to smash into the oncoming car.....an Audi or something ... VERY scary, but managed to correct my balance and cycle on, but a horrible half a second.

I alternate now as I can unclip both sides in extremis.....but agree usually left foot first is safer
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just trackstand - and use flats.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Uh-oh...! Now look what you've done supersonic....

:lol:

istock_can-of-worms.jpg
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke