Inguinal Hernia

FatLarry
FatLarry Posts: 209
edited January 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I have an inguinal hernia and am scheduled to go under the knife next week. It's causing a fair degree of pain, so postponement isn't an option.

I'm 40 years old and pretty fit. I ran a marathon early last year, before taking up cycling, and I weigh in at around 12.5 stone. I'm being treated by the surgeon who has carrried out the same op on Alan Shearer and Michael Owen... who were both playing football again after less than 3 weeks...

The challenge is that I'm doing the Etape 11 weeks later...

The surgeon says I'll be able to ride again after two weeks and should heal quickly because of my age and general health. (And his skill as a surgeon, obviously...) Gentle riding at first but back on to my training schedule after 3 weeks.

I've seen a few posts from more "mature" cyclists who have taken a lot longer to recover from this op, which makes me a little nervous.

Are there any late thirty - somethings / early forty - somethings who have had this op that can offer me a little reassurance that it's not unrealistic to think that I'll still be OK to climb Ventoux in July...? :?

Comments

• paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    Larry,

I had the same op in Nov 2004 when I was 41.

I had some (self inflicted) complications as I forgot about the local anaesthetic they had put in my leg fell over on getting out of bed after the op and opened up the surgical wound.

However, on the positive side, I would say that my experience was definitely not typical and even with all that, I was still back doing spinning classes within 4 weeks.

Don't underestimate the after effects of the general anaesthetic though - it takes longer than you think to get that out of your system.

Good luck!
  • FatLarry
    Thanks paulgw - that's reassuring. I've spoken to quite a few people - generally a little older - who have invariable sucked their teeth and shook their heads when I've suggested I'd be back on the bike within a month.

Opening up the wound sounds painful. Ouch!
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    I had a inguinal hernia op last year - pay-back for completing my first Ironman I suspect.

My surgeon predicted about 4 weeks before getting back on the bike, but then said that I would have to build up gradually. Of course being fit and strong I expected to get back to fitness quicker than that. But unfortunately it was not to be. It took 5.5 weeks before I was able to attempt my first tentative turbo session and then a total of 8 weeks before I ventured out on the road, and over 10 weeks before I was able to out any descent power down.

From what I've read my experience was towards the bad end of the recovery scale which is partly down to the luck of the draw as the surgery affects the nerves to varying degrees and so there are varying degrees of pain and numbness. My neighbour as an example has had 3 hernia ops, and says that 2 were no problem at all but one was a right b'stard - as was mine.

I also think I suffered more than I should have as I was given very little advice on how to manage the recovery, and so was not progressive enough with my exercising. So get as much advise as you can from the surgeon regarding what you should be doing on a daily basis to aid recovery and if you're not happy with the advise then go and see a physio and get their advise and help.

I thought about not replying as I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But then I thought that it's better to have your eyes wide open with regard to what could happen post-op as a worse case scenario.
  • FatLarry
    Thanks. That certainly sounds like you got the shitty end of the stick.

The reason I posted in the first place was to help me get some realistic expectations. I'm getting get the clear impression that if things go well and I'm relatively luck, I will be OK for the Etape. If there are any complications or I'm a little unlucky then I'm screwed.

I've done all I can - having the op as soon as possible, using a Harley Street surgeon who usually operates on professional sportsmen and will take full advantage of their post op physio.

I guess after that it's cross my fingers and hope for the best. Que sera sera & all that.

Thanks again.
  • jonah1
    jonah1 Posts: 27
    An Inguinal hernia repair can be performed 2 different ways.

1. traditional open repair which may take a while for you to be back on your bike, at least 6 weeks.

2. Laprascopic repair which should get you back on your bike in 3 weeks, this is the procedure pro sportsman have. Not very invasive only two small incisions to enable camera, etc access.
  • FatLarry
    hmmm....

I'm having a traditional repair. The rehabilition programme looks like this...

http://www.thegilmoregroinandherniaclinic.co.uk//groin_and_hernia/Hernia_Rehabilitation_Programme.aspx

What stands out to me is the bit that states ... "Hernia Rehabilitation Programme - The hospital physiotherapist will show you how to do this..."

... and then the list of allowed activities shown for week 2... "...Walk for 30 minutes twice a day for 4 days. Brisk walking or jogging, thereafter. Gentle sexual intercourse"

I do hope I get a nice physio... :shock:
  • Hi FL

Sorry to revive such an old post... but I was wondering how you got on?

I'm 41, fairly fit - MTB a lot - and probably do/did 5 hours on a turbo each week.

Juts got 'another inguinal hernia! 4th now. 2 as a kid (1 each side, traditional repair) and 1 mesh/keyhole job 5 years ago. Now got another.

Am seeing the surgeon on Friday... and I'm hoping to be in within 2 weeks. Last time I was in overnight - but didn't suffer much pain - and was gently cycling on a few weeks.

Problem for me is I'm more serious about cycling 'now'. Have lost nearly 2 stone, entered several a couple of roady sportives and a couple of MTB enduros. First one is end of March (Cheshire Cat).

What do you think? I know everyone is very different - just wondered how you managed?

Cheers
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Thought I had IH. But Consultant today thinks it's Psoas Tendinitis, so has recommended Ultrasound scan, with injection of cortisone...

Think I may preferred it being IH, LOL!
  • FatLarry
    Well, it feels like a long time ago now, but I've still got the scar to prove it!
    I think I mentioned in a previous post that it was going to be a traditional repair. I had it done on Thursday 14th May and was originally scheduled to be back at work a week later.
    During the first week I had some soreness and I ended up taking two weeks off work as a result – I went very easy on the exercises. Actually, I spent most of the time lying still in bed - which would have been incredibly tedious had the Giro not been on at the time...
    I got on the mountain bike and rode - gently - for an hour on Friday 29th May, two weeks after the op. That felt fine, so I got back on the road bike the following Monday. I took it easy for two weeks - I did some reasonable distances over that period, but slowly and carefully. I could feel some discomfort where I'd had the op, but it wasn't painful - and I was extra vigilant as I didn't want to risk an accident.
    After four weeks I had a post op check-up with the consultant and he said I should be able to give it 100%.
    By the end of June I was comfortably doing 100 mile rides - still with some mild discomfort, but nothing significant. But it was the middle of July before I felt I was back at the same level of fitness that I’d achieved pre-op.
    I completed the Etape in 8.5 hours, including a 40 minute Coke break at Chalet Reynard. A fantastic and emotional day and I was just pleased to have made it. But I think the hernia cost me alot in terms of time.

Good luck with the Cheshire Cat!
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    Larry

I had a hernia repair by the conventional method in Oct 2008 when I was 34. I would not have considered evn putting my leg over the bike after 3 weeks. I was still in quite a bit of pain. I reckon it was more like 6 weeks before I got back on the bike and to be honest I was not pushing it anyway near what I was prior to the op.
    Part of this could be down to the time of year as I was doing winter training and therefore not as high intensity

It would appear that some people recover quicker than others. hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones and recover quickly.

Flood
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Looks like I could be in the same boat as you chaps, I've had problems in the left hip/groin for quite a while now but only recently it's started to feel more hernia like - feeling like someone's squeezing my left testicle (I've looked, there's no-one there) and pain on sneezing being the most obvious examples.
    But the GP can't find a lump & thinks it's more likely tendinitis, x-ray etc to come: I'll let you know what comes next...
  • FatLarry
    Flood

I do think having a really good surgeon helped me... but I agree, much of the recovery is about the mysterious workings of your individual biology!