my brakes sound like angry geese!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    If they are contaminated with oil, burn the pads.
    I'm being serious. Use a small blowtorch or put them in the oven.
  • I have the same brakes and the same problem. On a GT aggressor XC2.

It started after about 3 weeks just on the rear brake, I gave it a good soaking off muck off disc brake cleaner, problem solved!!!

However at the 6 week service I got them to have a proper look at the brake, they stripped it and down and sanded the pads, all was well.

Shortly after this I went, I washed my bike down, just with water ( i don't know if this is relevant or just coincidence) I've done this before without a problem.

And Now, BOTH BRAKES DO IT!!!!

The noise is exactly the same as the you tube link by posted by Saracen Fan.

I'd be interested to know if you solved the problem or if anyone else has any further ideas.
  • I'll throw in my ten penneth FWIW.

Disc brakes can make a honk/goosey sound due to a few things:

Contamination. This is usually from aerosol chain lubes, bike spray/GT85/TF2. It really takes quite a small amount to hit the disc and, upon the next brake application, the lube/oil gets spread onto the pad surface. This will, very quickly, absorb into the pad material. When this occurs, and IMHO the only proper, permanant fix is new pads and throrough clean of rotors. Allthis burning/soaking crap is short term as it only clears the oil from the outer surface....as soon as the pad heats up, from braking, the oil finds its way to the pad surface again.

Misalignment/adjustment: We see loads of bikes in the shop, with misaligned calipers or mechanical calipers with the static pad miles out of adjustment. In a nutshell, if the pads arent hitting the rotor square on there can be some vibration, this exaggerates through the frame and goosey, goosey.

Damp: Now I might be shouted down here but, store your bike in a cold, damp garage/shed (which is where it belongs!!!) and consider how long a freshly washed/ridden bike sits there with the pads soaking up water/moisture. The pads soak up the wet!!! Ive read all the responses on this thread and a few have referred to it indirectly. Its winter, wet/crap/muck gets in....they will howl/complain/grind. Its how it is to an extent...some do, some dont and as long as you have covered the 2 above and keep the kit clean, just put up and shut up!!
    Magic

Riding, wrecking and repairing mtb's for too long!!

www.about-bikes.com
  • Just for the record I did manage to stop the noise by various means, (heating pads, cleaning ect....)

The only way I got rid of it for good was by replacing the pads.....and then being very careful with lubes ect.
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1