my brakes sound like angry geese!!!!!!

vengeance111
vengeance111 Posts: 137
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi there
i have resently purchased a carrera vengeance with tektro auriga hydro disdc brakes
whenever i put the rear brake on it makes a weird noise like HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
it does not effect the braking peformens it uust makes a annoying noises and a vibration
i have already tried adjusting the caliper,sanding pads and cleaning rotor
it does not make the noise when wet only when its dry
has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how to stop it?

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Mine have started making a funny noise since it got really cold. Maybe that's it.
  • maybe
    mine didnt do this until about 1 week after getting it
    are brake pads ment to be shiny??
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    are brake pads ment to be shiny??

I wouldn't have thought so - mine aren't.
  • i have tryed sanding them until there not shiny but then when i next check there shiny again
  • have just tried pouring methalated spirit on the pads and rotors,not rubbing the muck of just putting the stuff on and the noise has gone
    although i think it will return :cry:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'Geese'?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oops :)
    but serously thats what it sounds like and its so annoying :x
    putting the meths on the pad works temporaraly but it wears of pretty quick
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    pads are suposed to be shiny, that is just a glase they form when they get hot, it does not affect performance, but does make the pads wear like 10 times slower.... i would suggest cleaning everything with brake cleaner, or isopropyl alcohol, and then allowing everything to dry thoughrally, like overnight, then bedding them in really thoughally.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whenever I've had noisy brakes I just get it up to speed on the road and brake fairly hard, keep peddaling to get as much continuous heat in as possible, repeat 5/6 times.....seems to fix it for a while....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • im lettin the pads soak up some of the alchhol which seems to stop the noise
    however the idiot who assembled my bike stripped the pad retaining bolt so i cant take the pads out
    thats halfords for you
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    usually a pad clean with brake cleaner and/or calliper re-align sorts any noise issues out for me.
  • yeah
    i found this is a massive problem in avid juicys
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=425196
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Take it back?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like YOU have got something on the rotors/pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i have cleaned and sanded the pads and rotors so i dont think its that and im pretty sure i didnt contaminate them
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    yep id put money on pad contamination, pads do glaze slightly but should not be very shiney, they shine/glaze up when there is oil/grease ect on the pad..

it usually occurs when people lube there chains with spray grease ect and it gets spatterd on to the disc and then nackers the pads.

clean disc and rough up with some fine sandpaper and replace pads, im pretty sure this will sort it.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    yeah
    i found this is a massive problem in avid juicys
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=425196

Theres no problems with Avid brakes, or anyone elses brakes.

Some brakes/Pad combination to produce a squeel/honk when a bit dirty or simply not bed in right.

It mainly occurs in these winter times due to cr@p build up, the cold, the wet, the mud, you name it.

A recent ride in Swinley on the wettest day of the year made my Avid 7's squeel, but after 2 corners or some heavy braking, they are hot/clean enough and silent again.

I suggest you stop messing with your pads as that often does more harm than good. Sanding and soaking them will do nothing but affect the compound and performance.

Clean your rotors, ensure everything is aligned and setup correctly, put some new/fresh pads in, bed them according to the instructions and ride.

Welcome to winter!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Speak to Halfords, if they've stripped the bolt then they need to fix it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    edited December 2009
    Bmjboy
    no offense mate but have you looked at that link
    thertes 600 posts of people with my problem
    and its not a squek its a kind of low pitch rumble noise
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    yep wet pads do usually give of a squeal but this usually stops after the brake is used a few times when the pads get warm.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    And you'll find about 550 different problems and about 400 resolutions using different methods.

Firstly, change your pads - get some new organic or even try sintered pads in there.

FWIW - I use superstar organic all year round.

Like a few have already said, its winter, its mucky out there, all sorts of crud gets in your brakes.

Scouring Avid forums wont sort a Tektro issue either.

And if your LBS have ballsed up your brakes, go straight back to them and get them to sort it.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • i use hope sintered pads and they squeal like crazy wet dry clean dirty hot cold you name it

:lol:
  • now I do find this amusing........
    I recently put a post up titled 'my brake sounds like a gobbling turkey!'
    and guess what?
    Tektro auriga comps!
    theres a video link on that post which plays the sound which I bet is very simular to the noise yours are making.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGUJi-UQgg

turned out to be contaminated pads, you can temp cure these by putting a flame on them and burning for a few seconds, however it will come back.

you need to change your pads and be more carefull with the spray grease, I now take both wheels off and move calipers out the way when lubing chain/cassete ect.

hope this helps 8)
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • thanks very much
    i cant actually take the pads out at the moment but ill try and take that screw out tommorow
    ive temporarily cured it by just pouring methalayted spirit on the pads but i dont think that will work for ever
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    my pads have glased on my mono m4s. they make honking noises in the wet and dont want to lock very easily. i am changing the pads to day anyhow.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    also might be worth putting a bit of copper grease on the back of the bad to stop it vibrating....
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    yeah. but everyone be careful not to get it on the pad surface....
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ramemtbers wrote:
    my pads have glased on my mono m4s. they make honking noises in the wet and dont want to lock very easily. i am changing the pads to day anyhow.
    if there is stil pad materialk left, just give them a spray of IPA and rubb with a wire brush, then rinse, or put a blob of fairy on one pad and then rub the pads together (pad surface to pad surface), follwo by a rinse.
    that should rinse them,
    check the brake cleaning guide in the faq's, its very good...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    "just give them a spray of IPA"

beer!?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    however the idiot who assembled my bike stripped the pad retaining bolt so i cant take the pads out thats halfords for you

That's not done by the assembler, the bike is mostly built at the factory then only final assembly and PDI is done in the shop.
    Uncompromising extremist