can I use a TT bike in a road race?

Team Banana Spokesman
edited December 2009 in Amateur race
without the tt bars?

i have some spare drops/shifters and normal road wheels.

Comments

• Yes, I can't see a problem with it? Although the bike may handle like crap.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes. But a lot of work to change the set up from TT to road!
  • The tt bike is my only bike. :) It will save me buying another bike. dont know if i'll want to do more racing. I just want to have a go before I see if I want to race or just TT.

and it's different to a road bike because of the really harsh (but fast) position it puts you in. Luckily for me I like that position.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    dont be so sure. the frame has got to conform to uci technical regs, that determine tubing diameters ,angles and profiles. if you have a full on tt frame ,such as a p3 of an aerotic, etc , they wont fall within the regs.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    No chance of just borrowing or renting a road bike ? Maybe a demo from your LBS
    exercise.png
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Those regs are UCI though - and don't apply to every race.

Likelihood is if it's a British Cycling race you'll be ok - but worth checking.

When you say TT bike - what are we talking? Trek Equinox etc?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • sub55 wrote:
    dont be so sure. the frame has got to conform to uci technical regs, that determine tubing diameters ,angles and profiles. if you have a full on tt frame ,such as a p3 of an aerotic, etc , they wont fall within the regs.

I doubt your average race in Britain will be a problem. Maybe if you're riding prems.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    British cycling are affiliated to the UCI and have the same technial regs.
    A race comminsaire in a 3/4 cat event may turn a blind eye. But if you`ve pre entered and driven 30/40 miles ,do you really want to take the chance of being stopped from starting, as you could quite easily be £50.00 out of pocket.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Wouldn't say that's too bad, could pass for a road bike I reckon. I've seen people use P3s as road bikes (why? I don't know).

There will be a lot of effort involved in getting the bars on and off all the time like. Don't know if it's worth it!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pokerface

That's not a whole lot different than the new Felt bikes in terms of look and geometry:

http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalog/r ... issue.aspx

As usual, the pedant Sub55 is right and there ARE regs to be followed for frame geometry, etc - but I would suggest that the type of racing you would be doing would allow you to get by no problem. Once you swap to drops, etc - you probably wouldn't be able to tell it was a TT bike in the first place!
  • you should be fine unless you're racing at a very high level. You might get a wee bit battered and yearn for something more forgiving, mind ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,924
    @OP - what bike do you use for training at present? Surely you don't train on the TT bike? Not sure how well the bike handles, you may need to make quicker adjustments in line than you would in a TT. Do you have a club mate who would lend you their training bike as a one off to see how you get on? Don't forget you will be at a higher risk of crashing your bike in a road race than in a TT.
  • Yeh - I train on the tt bike and have done for ages so it might handle like crap but just like with any bike you can learn to control it with practice. :)

I used to do gymnastics so im really flexible. I can hold a aero tuck for ages (like hours :lol:) but my power sucks! :( cant sprint at all so im gonna enter a road race and try to breakaway at the end with others. my TT skillz might help here. if not then ill just have fun and help pull the others to the finish.

the "others" are friends of mine. they dont have spare bikes apart from one guy who rides a silly 62cm frame. :roll: were going to enter a race and work together....

most road bikes have a really upright geometry (???) and im dead small so cant really get a bike one size smaller and put a massive stem on it to get low.

It seems the good agggresive bikes are the most expensive. why?

On my tt bike I can get into positions like the ones below....do you know a cheap frame that will get me into this position easy? I dont see any. most cheap frames force you the other way...

(btw, sorry if my english is crap. its not my first language)

vlcsnap183464.png
    vlcsnap183612.png
    vlcsnap183704.png
    vlcsnap183914.png
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    I believe Rob Hayles used a Dolan TT frame in road races a few years back.

However it was set up completely different from a TT set up. Remember for most of the race you'll be in a bunch so handling and comfort are as important if not more so than an aero position.
  • I don't think you need to get a position that aggressive! Can't imagine that being comfortable or particularly beneficial to your riding. It might also help if you can look up to see where you're going! It's pointless having the flexibility to get into that sort of position without the strength through the full range of movement.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pokerface
    I don't think it's the frame that forces you into an upright or aero position!

It's the saddle and bar height that does it. Plus stem length to stretch you out, etc.

The guy in the photos is riding a pretty standard frame but has the bike set up correctly for him - allowing him to get low and aero.