Crank Tick - Should I return to dealer?

fairweatherbiker
fairweatherbiker Posts: 116
edited December 2009 in The workshop
My nearly 1 yr old Trek has recently developed a distinct ticking sound coming from the crank - as it only occurs when the pedal is in one position, the sound is more noticable under load, and happens no matter what gear is selected.

Other bikes I've had have always made odd squeaks and rattles etc, but this one has been silent since new, and has only just started making this noise.

Its still under warranty - should I get this checked out - could it be serious?
Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It could be one of many things, almost all benign. It is a process of elimination - could be the bottom bracket that needs greasing, bolts o the chainset need tightening, pedal bearings - go through one by one, servicing until it goes.

Park Tools has a guide you can follow o diagnosing noises.

Has it been serviced recently?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Oh I feel your pain I had this one my Trek road bike on and off since I bought it, in the end I swapped the BB for a Token CNC beauty. I would recommend you check the tiny bit of dérailleur cable that sticks out just by the cranks, if that gets bent out and touches the crank arm it gives off an annoying tick once per revolution :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    Pedals are a common culprit for clicking noises
    Alex