So who's up at this time?

2»

Comments

• I've nearly finished!!! I'm just laying into l'academie francaise for attacking regional languages and then I've got to conclude and I'm done.

I did find one interesting article, for anyone who speaks French. It's about l'academie having a go at regional languages, saying they're not part fo the french language. It's like saying Cockneys/Geordie/Scousers/Yorkshirefolk don't speak English because they don't talk like newsreaders.

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-societe/2008-06-17/l-academie-francaise-contre-les-langues-regionales-dans-la/920/0/253644
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Just spent the last hour or three putting my training plan on TrainingPeaks...

Your taxes hard at work!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just spent the last hour or three putting my training plan on TrainingPeaks...

Your taxes hard at work!

Yes. Can I have a pay rise please?
  • I've nearly finished!!! I'm just laying into l'academie francaise for attacking regional languages and then I've got to conclude and I'm done.

I did find one interesting article, for anyone who speaks French. It's about l'academie having a go at regional languages, saying they're not part fo the french language. It's like saying Cockneys/Geordie/Scousers/Yorkshirefolk don't speak English because they don't talk like newsreaders.

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-societe/2008-06-17/l-academie-francaise-contre-les-langues-regionales-dans-la/920/0/253644

What the ''immortels'' (God bless 'em!) objected to was the inclusion of a sentence saying that regional languages were a part of France's heritage. To them this compromises equal access to the law and the administration. It's about as logical as calling themselves immortal!

Some linguist once said a language is a dialect with its own army. French, in the standardised version we know, is the dialect of Île de France, one of the langue l'oïl group writ large over the country as a whole - and fairly recently, at that.