Training at Palmer Park

J M W
J M W Posts: 6
edited November 2009 in Track
Hi

I will shortly be moving down from Edinburgh to Reading & I was just wondering what the general set up at Palmer Park was with regard to access for training etc?

The Meadowbank set up is there are some coached/led sessions but generally you just pay your money & can go on anytime (weather permitting) as long as there is more than one of you, so you're not left lying on the cote d'azure should anything unfortunate happen! Is Palmer Park similar? I gather there are sessions on a Thursday evening & track league is on a Monday eve?

Also, while I'm here does anyone have any recommendations for a gym in the area (anywhere between Woking & Earley I guess)? Am currently using a rugby club gym, which is pretty ideal so I guess something similar would be good? Just something cheap & basic, but with a decent squat rack & plenty of weights I guess??

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
John

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Hi John,

Some of the info you’re after will be on the Reading Velodrome Racing web site.

Fixed gear training starts 2 April and you’re right, it is every Thursday although the geared sessions are still running at the moment if you want to have a look/try before hand.

The track league is every Mon starting 20 Apr apart from bank holidays and there is also the Bordeaux-Paris meeting which is the only weekend meeting.

Re access to training outside of the Tue/Thur sessions – you can hire the track for your own use when it’s free but the prerequisite is to have a qualified/accredited coach – you’ll need to check current policy with Palmer Park Stadium.

There are sometimes other sessions set up but you’ll probably have to wait for the season to start to see who is doing what. There have been some Wed evening sessions in the past but it will depend if the particular coach who ran those does so again.

Re the gym – I’m not local to Reading or Palmer Park so can’t recommend anything in the area but the there is a gym/weights room at Palmer Park Stadium (0118 901 5080).

See you at the track league!
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Eddy are you back? Get up Ventoux okay? :D
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    proto wrote:
    Eddy are you back? Get up Ventoux okay? :D
    Hi Tim,

No, I'm still in Provence. I'm very sad and took my laptop with me. Not made it up Ventoux yet but we're pretty sure that the road is still closed - there's snow in them there mountains! :shock: We got as far as Sault yesterday so we were close 8)
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Has anyone any experience of the winter geared training sessions at Palmer Park?

I'm thinking of venturing down to give it a go but don't want to look a complete idiot!

I'm keen to go once a week (maybe twice) for winter training. I'm a road newbie (after being a off roader all my life) and just getting fit again after a few years off my bike starting a family.

How fast/serious is it there? Also, do people turn up all ready to go in cycling gear or should I get changed there?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I used to pop along regularly a few years ago - used to be both Tuesdays and Thursdays in winter. It is open to all sorts - from guys bimbling around on MTBs to serious chaingang drills - it's a big open track so plenty of room to pass. Generally you find that a small group forms doing through-and-off in pairs and soon a bigger group forms - the pace starts to wind-up as successive people take their turns until you're down to the last 4 or 5 and then it starts again. As long as you stick to etiquette - don't bimble along below the blue line and hold your line if being overtaken from behind. There are some changing rooms too - the guys at reception will tell you what one to use. It's not a formal session, so no real organisation it terms of doing what - just pay your money do your own thing and try not to get in the way of the faster guys.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • othello
    Thanks! I might give it a go next week.
  • the image on Google earth of Palmer Park shows the track packed with riders at a session
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • othello wrote:
    Has anyone any experience of the winter geared training sessions at Palmer Park?

I'm thinking of venturing down to give it a go but don't want to look a complete idiot!

I'm keen to go once a week (maybe twice) for winter training. I'm a road newbie (after being a off roader all my life) and just getting fit again after a few years off my bike starting a family.

How fast/serious is it there? Also, do people turn up all ready to go in cycling gear or should I get changed there?

I think all your questions have been answered already, but just to reiterate, you shouldn't worry about giving it a go. It's informal and people just do their own thing. There is a sheet of rules on the desk where you pay, but don't feel intimidated. Basically the only non-obvious rule is to allow faster riders to pass you on the inside... and always look behind you before you move across the track... that's obvious but worth stressing!

If you do come down, you might see me, I'll be in Reading CC kit riding an old red steel fixed (with a brake hence ok in the geared sessions). Don;t be offended if I just grimmace at you though as I tend to use the track for high intensity work. Other people just pootle round for an our or two.
  • othello
    Thanks Simon.

If the weather holds I'll be down on this week for one of the sessions (I'll be riding around on a white/black Cinelli getting used to the whole experience!).
  • othello
    I went to the session this evening and had a great time!

I did a few laps around the outside getting the feel for it, then did some reps, and even joined a big bunch for a while. Group riding was certainly an experience!

It is certainly ideal to get some miles in over the winter without having to brave the roads in the dark. I'll be going back each week I think :D
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Was busy last night wasn't it?!

I was the guy in the skeleton top on the Pompino...

You?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • othello
    Ah I remember seeing you! There were certanly more people there than I expected, but in a good way.

I was the guy all in black on the white Cinelli (wearing glasses), trying not to make a fool of myself especially in the bunch
  • TommyEss
    Ah yes - I remember! Didn't notice any Cinelli related foolishness either!

It's not normally quite as busy as that, but with the amount of new riders we've been getting since the (running) track was re-surfaced, I've found the standard of track etiquette has dropped - especially people overtaking instead of undertaking - and with that many new guys in that big bunch I decided to leave it, and had a nice two-up with a guy on a Ribble!

Until I cramped and discovered a little staple in my tyre - not the first one from PP - anyone else round here been struck by the fairy - complain to reception and they may reimburse you for the damaged tyre.

Hope to see you on Thursday Othello - my name's Tom, funnily enough - say hi!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • othello
    Unfortunately I'm only going to be able to get away with one track session a week at the moment. I have 2 small children, so one track session and a couple of hours ride at the weekend is about all my other half gives me (bless her!). But maybe I'll see you next Tuesday -- my names Matt by the way.

I must admit I was quite surprised by the amount of overtaking, even to my untrained eye. There were times where riders were almost barging between me and the rider in front from the outside. I was also expecting the person on the front to do a turn then swing off and everyone to gradually move through. Instead everyone seemed to bunch in the middle. But then I'm a newbie so maybe thats how it works!

Had a lot of fun though!
  • TommyEss
    Hi Matt,

Yeah, Tuesday that big bunch looked quite chaotic - normally the groups are smaller and much more organised - normally two clearly defined lines of riders side by side, and you do through and off in pairs.

Most pairs last 3-4 laps on the front, but the pace does tend to creep up - Tuesday looked like a lot of indecision, and without the organisation me and the guy on the Ribble on our own were able to go quicker than that big bunch - that wouldn't normally happen - I promise you!

So anyway, hopefully it'll get a bit more organised as people 1) keep coming and get used to riding in close proximity to others and 2) get shouted at by the regulars and whipped into shape! :-P

See you next Tuesday - mmm - Birthday laps!
  • I haven't made it yet this winter. Will be down there soon though. I tend to just ride on my own to avoid the chaos and general pootling of the bunch and get a structured workout. I used to join in with the fast groups when I was riding geared but riding fixed restricts me to groups moving at a certain speed! Having said that, I've just fitted a higher gear to my fixed, so might be able to keep pace with the fast groups again now.
  • Out of interest how many of you guys doing the training sessions also race the track league there in the summer?
  • For anyone who cares, I'm planning on going tonight to do some intervals.

I have considered doing the track league but don't have a suitable bike and have never got round to doing the accreditation.
  • othello
    I was down for tonight but a sick wife and two small children mean I will be doing the domestic routine!

Next week I hope...