Road bikes for kids

sashmo
sashmo Posts: 113
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Does anyone have any suggestions for a road bike for an 11 year old, about 140 cm tall?

I have looked at Islabikes and they look the business. However, its a lot of money to part with if the bug hasn't truly bitten.

Thanks.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Where are you based? My eldest has a Decathlon 7.0 Kids that he's close to being grown out of - I could maybe tempt him to part with it if the price is right? :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    sashmo wrote:
    I have looked at Islabikes and they look the business. However, its a lot of money to part with if the bug hasn't truly bitten.
    Same goes for any of the decent brands. At least with an Islabike you should have no problems selling it on. OTOH if he/she is not that 'into' bikes then a secondhand Apollo cheapie from the local paper may do the job.

Compared to a lot of the stuff people buy now I think a decent bike is not that expensive (and I can promise you we don't have much money). Each time I've looked at Islabikes and compared them with other makes. For a similar spec the others weren't much cheaper, but they were nowhere near as well made or designed.

BTW if you glance at the Family & Kids forum you'll see this echoed again and again.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.