Thinking about getting some Heli-tape for the Marin........

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I was thinking about buying some heli-tape for the Marin, its painted so very prone to chipping (I chipped a 'tiny' bit out of the droupouts just by fitting a wheel!!)

I really want to always keep it looking as new/good condition. Becuase I won't be able to afford anything new until 2022... :lol:

I have a couple of questions for anyone who has got it on their pride and joy.

1. When applying it, do you warm the frame up or the piece of tape you have cut? Both?

2. Is it really obvious that you have it on there? Or as 'invisible' as people have claimed

3. When (or if) it's removed, is it easy, and can it ironically damaged the paintwork?

4. can it be apllied to hydroformed chainstays? instead of a chainstay protector, or is it best to have both.

I was thinking about getting enough for all of the main tubing on the bike. If all of the above answers are answered positively, I think it may be a worthwhile investment.

Cheers peeps
Adam

Comments

• bones3027
    bones3027 Posts: 152
    i have it on my down tube to protect against stones and also the areas that rest on my bike rack, as for fitting i made sure area was clean(imaculate) and just fitted the tape no heating and its still going strong after 11 months. the only areas that are noticable are the welds by the BB, maybe heating would have solved that. Clearly if your looking for it you will see but most of my mates didnt even notice it. Good stuff defo worth it to protect my mighty stead
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    It's good stuff and it really is almost invisible if you apply it carefully and get all the air out from under it.
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    I just use gaffer tape
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I have frame wrap for chainstay protection. recommended on here by Joe Pineapples. Available from bike tart very easy to use and seals it brilliantly. Looks good too. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i know this is invading your thread but would it work if you wrapped some electrical tape around the cable in the places that i would rub?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Take your time, do it in a really warm but dry place.

Only the edges show, and places where it hasn't adhered to the frame (round plate gussets, welds, air bubbles)

Not strong enough for a chainstay protector. either double/triple wrap it there or get a proper one.
  • llamafarmer
    There ya go:

4056485908_a84fd50c94.jpg

And bigger:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4056485908_a84fd50c94_b.jpg

The bit on the headtube worked a treat :D
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    What is heli-tape and where can you get it from?
  • llamafarmer
    furby wrote:
    What is heli-tape and where can you get it from?

It's a clear tape that you can stick to the frame to protect it from cable rub/scratches/chips. I just put it anywhere my cables rub or where the chain slaps, but I know a few guys who run a long strip right the way down the underside of the downtube to stop stone chips.

http://www.biketart.com/
  • Nice one... I shall get just enough to do the cable rub areas, and the whole of the downtube, and the top of the top tube, always seem to drop things when out... so that may help, I think 200cm worth should do the whole bike.......

Will buy a chainstay protector though.. the Charge Chippers look good and they do them in white ;)
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    If you night ride and have lights with a battery pack that straps to the frame, thne tape those bits aswell.