Finally got the courage to jump (with pics)

2»

Comments

• jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    jadamson
    As has all ready been said, there's no rule to what you should/shouldn't ride.....

yer i didnt mean it in that way :? i ment we tend to stick towards xc and trails and never really did jumps cus they looked scary :lol: but yer its called an x-up...i find it hard to get the bars all the way around, i say as long as there 90 degrees or more around then its good =)

and the tabletop or whatever its called is actually surprisingly ok when you try and super easy with SPD's :lol: just hook your foot and push the bars to the side whilst lifting with your legs. you can practice the motion just static on your bike just obviously not all the way over :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tabletops should be done using your arms, not your legs.
  • jadamson
    jumpx-upattempt1.jpg

since bikeradar doesn't believe without picture's this is a first attempt at an x-up :lol: i just dont like the idea of my bars being inverted :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought its your inverted bars that MAKE it an X-up, because your arms form an X shape?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    a good way to practise a lot of these things is lying on your back with the bike above you.
  • jadamson
    yer i think thats why it got its name but thats why mines an "attempt" :lol: but i was quite proud of that :)
  • jadamson
    a good way to practise a lot of these things is lying on your back with the bike above you.

wow that sounds soo fun :shock:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it's hilarious when you come across a group of teenage bmxers in a park all doing bar-spins and 360s but lying on their backs.

Like something out of monty python!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Spooky woods is ace, but the berms were in a bad way when I was there at the start of september. Made it quite hard to keep your flow.

Spooky's got a bit of a case of Trail Centre Berm just now, because most people roll round the bottom, and half the people who try and ride it higher end up slamming on the brakes halfway round :roll: So the bottom's absolutely perfectly smooth and lovely, and the middle's like the surface of the moon, so the only really good line is riiiiiight around the edge where the knobbers don't dare ride 8) :wink: I'ev got so used to it that i get a bit freaked out when I ride a berm that's not half-****ed :lol:
    Steve_F wrote:
    Watch out for the first rocky jump at the top of spooky after the drop. It tends to send me into the landing very nose happy.

Hmm, never had that myself... But then I tend to jump a bit too nose-up anyway so maybe that balances out :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    nice pics mac!
    looks like decent technique but you can tell you're shitting it lol.
    best to watch a few mtb vids of people jumping and then imagine you look like that in the air and you'll relax a bit more.

good photo's by the missus, maybe get her to stand further back in future you'll get less motion blur.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    nwmlarge wrote:
    nice pics mac!
    looks like decent technique but you can tell you're ******** it lol.
    best to watch a few mtb vids of people jumping and then imagine you look like that in the air and you'll relax a bit more.

good photo's by the missus, maybe get her to stand further back in future you'll get less motion blur.

Cheers nwm! yep I was pooing it a bit! guess it comes with practice and confidence. Agree with the camera position, had a few technical issues on that front with brambles, stinging nettles and trees all doing there best to be in the exact spots I would of liked. Really wanted to get one of the shots from behind the jump as you wouldn't be able to see much beyond the jump and I would have been silhouetted against the sunset....maybe next time, once i've learnt to tabletop...or even a look-back...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • MacAndCheese
    nwmlarge wrote:
    ps what gear have you got on there?

gear is:
    Bike = Marin Wolfridge 2009 6.8 (as standard)
    Helmet = 661 pro Bravo 2008 in flat white with Oakley MX googles
    Top = Troy Lee Moto jersey black
    Shorts = Specialized
    pads = 661 kyle strait knee pads.
    Shoes = Specialized bg SPD
    Gloves = Troy lee XC red
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • nwmlarge
    well keep at it dude you've got the right idea!

cheers for the info.
    i've been looking to pick up some riding gear but not wanting to look like a clone is tricky, that stuff is nice and simple!
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    nice pics, considering you've only just learnt to jump you've got some good height there mate!!!
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • MacAndCheese
    nwmlarge wrote:
    well keep at it dude you've got the right idea!

cheers for the info.
    i've been looking to pick up some riding gear but not wanting to look like a clone is tricky, that stuff is nice and simple!

Couldn't agree more, I personally don't like the really loud multicoloured MX style stuff (says the guy with a bright orange bike.....)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is how I learned - grassy table tops!
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Well done mac - that's impressive air for someone new to jumping.
    I did the jump gulley at swinley today (my second time at swinley but first time at the jump gulley - didn't find it last time) - lots of big tables in this gulley, and i got more air than i'd ever got before, but almost fell off the back because i kept doing massive rear wheel landings! any tips on keeping the rear wheel up? I haven't tried pushing the front down as i'd rather rear wheel land than front wheel land.
  • nwmlarge
    if you keep going too back wheel heavy try keeping your head lower to make you tuck closer to the bike.
  • I'm impressed, mate. Got some great height there to say you're new to it. It's one of the many things I'm useless at. I know that it's practice, but it's finding somewhere to build up the confidence gradually.
    This is how I learned - grassy table tops!

Was that local, Super?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    nicely done! :D i've been practicing getting airborn lately cos theres a roadgap on the local loop i wanna do but i want to get more comfortable in the air

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!