skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Nice story Stuart - thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed reading it. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    cheers... quite proud of the achievement and funny enough the article
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    Good work Stuart. Both on the ride and the article. That brought back some good memories of when we did the ride a couple of years back. Funnily enough we have a similar photo so the sign at Hartside and also made comments about how it isn't really 'all downhill from here' although it darn well looks like it on the map.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    A nice account, refreshingly free of the "oh the struggle, the inhuman pain" schtick which many feel they must stress to readers. It made me want to ride in the Lake District. Thanks.
  • sonicred007
    Glad you liked it Balthazar... I must confess when I started the ride and the first day seemed to be going fine I was thinking about what I might write and apart from changes in surface I couldn't imagine what else I'd say... then everything else happened and it wrote itself... I used to writing about bands and singers - so cycling is a new territory for me
  • A really good account of the trip and rotten luck with the mechanical problems.

The climb to Parkhead Station goes past my front door and I watch hundreds of people heading up that way every year. Do they still have a board at the cafe where people list times from the Grey Bull pub at the bottom? The local kids here used to challenge one another. I always feel a bit for the people going past my window - it's a hard climb (or a long walk in some cases!). The start to day 3 from Rookhope is a bit of a brute. My Sunday morning ride usually takes me from Stanhope to Rookhope, so I see plenty of people setting off from there and struggling up the first hill of the day pretty much straight from the breakfast table and I know, which they usually don't, that Parkhead is still to come.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Great story - you may have inspired me to start planning another 1-day epic, might have difficulty convincing my friends that it is a good idea!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sonicred007
    stabilised wrote:
    A really good account of the trip and rotten luck with the mechanical problems.
    The mechanical problems really put my lack of bicycle know how in the dustbin
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Well down mate good story well told a pity about the mechanicals though as they say that is a part of cycling. I have always fancied having a go at the C2C did Lands End to JOG a few years ago and Mizen Head to Malin head in Ireland the next year but never found the time for that one though i often get guys at the work asking me to do it with them maybe next year ill have a go at it after reading your account.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Excellent write up. Me and a colleague are doing this run next spring, you've saved me loads of time i now know what gear I'll need ...........(10 inner tuber should do it!!1)
    Dave :wink:
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Great read, thanks for posting. That Lake District weather can be an absolute sod! Could you do it again next week to give me another good read next Friday? Cheers...
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Lake district weather......If you don't like it wait 10 mins and it will have changed!!
    Dave :wink:
  • sonicred007
    LOL... you made laugh
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Well done on your C2C and thank you for posting a great write up - inspiring and helpful for others who maybe thinking of doing it themselves.
  • sonicred007
    never thought of it as inspiring - I was just showing off with the article... everyone's positive comments has made me smile and kept my eye on the next cycling feat

although my left shoulder is still knackered... my second crash out in 12 months - smashed my face into the road in Dec 2008

I certainly have less road confidence than I did 18 months ago

Note to self - no more crashes

Thank you