Schwalbe Advancer? (or: new all-duty tyres for my 29er)

angrymeerkat
angrymeerkat Posts: 134
edited October 2009 in The workshop
Howdy commuterforumites. Hope you can advise on this one.

I need some new tyres for my workhorse, commuter, towpath, accross-a-few-fields bike - a Peace 29er rigid SS. Currently with WTB dual-duty rims and Specialized Borough 700x42c tyres.

I like the level of grip the Borough gives me on all surfaces, but it's a weak tyre. I've had a bulging sidewall for a couple of months, and now a gert big hole thanks to a relatively small shard of glass in the rear.

Now this Schwalbe Advancer from CRC looks a huge bargain, have used marathons in the past and they're decent. Anyone know how this tyre performs? Will the loss of gravelly grip from 42 to 35c be big?

Can you offer alternatives? I don't want to spend stupid money, this is after all my everyday mule. £35 ish (for a pair) tops, don't really want to go below 32c either.

Comments

• Trev71
    Trev71 Posts: 46
    I use Continental Travel contacts and cannot recommend them highly enough. My 14-mile round trip commute is a mix of roads, cycle paths. gravel and the odd bit of grass/mud. The Contis cope with it all quite well, and in about 2000 miles I have had only 1 puncture. I paid about £38 for the pair from CRC.