Womens full face helmets

aguesty1
aguesty1 Posts: 97
edited February 2010 in Women
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can pick up a womens full face helmet from, brand and model name as well preferably then I can have a look online. It's for my girlfriends birthday!

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wasn't aware that helmets are gender specifc - at all.

Don't buy her a helmet online anyway, you MUST make sure it fits, or it will be next to pointless.
  • Ah right thought they may be gender specific, not to worry. As for buying online was simply going to check out the look of them.

Thanks for the assistance
  • SJ
    SJ Posts: 2,871
    Buying a helmet online isn't an issue as long as it's from a reputable dealer. For example, CRC will offer free postage and most likely a better price than your LBS, with a no quibble returns policy if the helmet isn't the right size.

You can check the size guides on most manufacturers websites and measure your girlfriends head to select the corresponding size, most full face lids only come in three sizes anyway (Small, Medium or Large) and have an adjuster kit for fit which contains extra padding you stick on where you need it. If you really want to get her 'fitted', then visit the LBS to do that then buy online or you'll end up paying through the nose.

As for 'Women Specific', you won't find them. And if you did they'd be pink with flowers on and probably only half as tough as the mens version. :wink:
    a dirtbag of the most delightful variety
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's not just the size of helmets though, it's the actual shape of them. 661 full face helmets fit me like a glove, but Giro ones only touch my noggin in a few points.
  • Womens specific come with a pouch in the back for the extra hair! :wink:
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    SJ wrote:
    You can check the size guides on most manufacturers websites and measure your girlfriends head to select the corresponding size, most full face lids only come in three sizes anyway (Small, Medium or Large) and have an adjuster kit for fit which contains extra padding you stick on where you need it. If you really want to get her 'fitted', then visit the LBS to do that then buy online or you'll end up paying through the nose.

I've been looking for a full face helmet, only problem is I have a teeny tiny noggin (54cm..and surprisingly I don't look out of proportion even tho I'm 5'11") and none of my LBS's have anything in the small or XS sizes! what a pain!

I think this is an ongoing problem though with local bike shops not serving the female clientele - I always find that there's plenty of ladies specific roadie type equipment, but barely anything for the XC/DH ladies. When we went to Coed Y Brenin there was plenty of stuff I wanted to try on which made a refreshing change.
  • SJ
    It's not just the size of helmets though, it's the actual shape of them. 661 full face helmets fit me like a glove, but Giro ones only touch my noggin in a few points.

Hence my saying 'most full face lids only come in three sizes anyway (Small, Medium or Large) and have an adjuster kit for fit which contains extra padding you stick on where you need it'.

You'll probably find that most people have the same issue and use the adjuster kits to fill the gaps and make the lids a good fit.
  • SJ
    foxc_uk wrote:
    SJ wrote:

I've been looking for a full face helmet, only problem is I have a teeny tiny noggin (54cm..and surprisingly I don't look out of proportion even tho I'm 5'11") and none of my LBS's have anything in the small or XS sizes! what a pain!

I think this is an ongoing problem though with local bike shops not serving the female clientele - I always find that there's plenty of ladies specific roadie type equipment, but barely anything for the XC/DH ladies. When we went to Coed Y Brenin there was plenty of stuff I wanted to try on which made a refreshing change.

Mine is 55cm so I know the feeling!
  • SJ wrote:

Hence my saying 'most full face lids only come in three sizes anyway (Small, Medium or Large) and have an adjuster kit for fit which contains extra padding you stick on where you need it'.

You'll probably find that most people have the same issue and use the adjuster kits to fill the gaps and make the lids a good fit.

Don't agree with this, find one that's a good fit in the first place. I bought a new snowboard helmet last year, trying on a few makes you realise that although the size is fine on some, the shape is totally wrong.

Don't try on in a shop then order online, that's just cheeky.

If you do order online, find somewhere that's free delivery and order a few different manufacturers. Return the ones that don't fit well, this isn't a problem with distance selling regs. Also if you're wearing goggles with your helmet, try them on with the helmet to make sure they work together
  • SJ
    mea00csf wrote:
    SJ wrote:

Don't agree with this, find one that's a good fit in the first place. I bought a new snowboard helmet last year, trying on a few makes you realise that although the size is fine on some, the shape is totally wrong.

Don't try on in a shop then order online, that's just cheeky.

How is it cheeky? It's surely sensible practice to try styles and sizes and then buy for the best price you can, especially in the current economic climate!

If you do order online, find somewhere that's free delivery and order a few different manufacturers. Return the ones that don't fit well, this isn't a problem with distance selling regs. Also if you're wearing goggles with your helmet, try them on with the helmet to make sure they work together

How is it less cheeky ordering several and then returning the ones you don't want?

I still maintain that lid manufacturers have adjuster kits for a reason, if you can find one that is a perfect fit then great but if there are gaps then that is what the extra padding is for!
  • It's cheeky and rude to use a shop for fitting purposes then to walk out and buy elsewhere. If you want the ease of trying on there and then in a shop you should be prepared to pay shop prices, they usually cost more because they have the bricks and mortar shop allowing you to try on. Of course you don't have to buy everything you try, but decide "I want this one" in a shop then walk out and buy the same on the internet is extremely rude in my opinion

It's not cheeky to order a few from the same shop and send those back you don't want because you're still buying a helmet from them. Online shops expect stuff to get sent back as unsuitable (ie doesn't fit) and they have to accept that being online retailers selling something as variable as clothing/helmets.
  • SJ
    Hardly. It's common sense.
    I can try a Troy Lee full face lid on in my local MX shop which costs over £500 there but order from the US for less than half the price including the shipping cost!
    It would be plain stupid to spend double the money unnecessarily.
  • foxc_uk wrote:

I had same problem with size but managed to get a xs 661 pro bravo. not gender specific tho.
  • mea00csf wrote:
    It's cheeky and rude to use a shop for fitting purposes then to walk out and buy elsewhere. If you want the ease of trying on there and then in a shop you should be prepared to pay shop prices, they usually cost more because they have the bricks and mortar shop allowing you to try on. Of course you don't have to buy everything you try, but decide "I want this one" in a shop then walk out and buy the same on the internet is extremely rude in my opinion

It's not cheeky to order a few from the same shop and send those back you don't want because you're still buying a helmet from them. Online shops expect stuff to get sent back as unsuitable (ie doesn't fit) and they have to accept that being online retailers selling something as variable as clothing/helmets.

I think it's rude for LBS to charge 20-30% more for the same items than online!
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    mea00csf wrote:
    It's cheeky and rude to use a shop for fitting purposes then to walk out and buy elsewhere. If you want the ease of trying on there and then in a shop you should be prepared to pay shop prices, they usually cost more because they have the bricks and mortar shop allowing you to try on. Of course you don't have to buy everything you try, but decide "I want this one" in a shop then walk out and buy the same on the internet is extremely rude in my opinion

I think it's rude for LBS to charge 20-30% more for the same items than online!

well they need to charge more, they have more overheads. Besides you can always ask them to price match, many will do particularly if they know your face. Even if they won't match often they'll knock a fair chunk of money off if you ask nicely, they've seen your face and expect you'll be back.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    SJ wrote:
    Mine is 55cm so I know the feeling!

now i feel like i have a girly head at 56cm :lol:
    mea00csf wrote:

i tried mine in a shop and then got it £50 cheaper online. so your saying you wouln't want to save that much money?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • if you do have to try it on before you buy it, dont tell the guy in the shop thats what youre doing. say 'that feels ok, but its just not roight', take a note of the model and size then buy it when you get home.

do buy something from the shop though, even if its just some lube or a tyre.
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    You could always take your girlfriend to a store that stocks the helmet you have chosen and find the perfect size then order it from a reputable dealer online, therefore giving you the best of both workds, perfect fit but better price, and hey you could even used the money saved to treat her even more.