Carbon in winter

2»

Comments

• dennisn wrote:
    Pat Murray wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Thinking about it though, so long as you've kept the carbon perfectly dry you should be fine. If you get it wet, the moisture gets between the layers of cloth and when it freezes it splits the carbon apart.

Oh dear - do you honestly think that there is void between layers? Suggest you google Carbon Fibre.

Well there could be voids between layers and even between fibres themselves - incomplete macroflow. Although if macroflow isn't complete the "operator" should be able to identify the issue and reject the component. But if there is incomplete microflow you are probably screwed.

I guess I did listen while at uni.

and then there is prepreg :)

I'm impressed. Not a clue about what you said, but very impressed with the way you said it.

It's all to do with resin flow through preforms. The "quality" of the flow of resin is determined by the viscosity of the resin, too viscous and you'll get incomplete flow.
  • Garry H wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Is carbon ok - if its a bit cloudy ?

What kind of clouds are we talking about here?

It could a Cirrus Fibratus issue.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pat Murray wrote:
    and then there is prepreg :)

Prepreg is just individual sheets, you can still get incomplete macroflow
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • .. the carbon fibre facillitation process with subzero temperatures combined with the coefficient of groin perspiration suggests that carbon frames will outlast the average roadie's needs....

:roll: :wink::wink:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    NapoleonD wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ive heard it breaks with an awesome display of quadpower .........(I'll sleep easy)

:o Oi, it's QuadPower(tm).

And yes. It does.

Especially if you've been following a Chris Charmichael CTS TrainingPlan(tm).

youve only copyrighted it in title case - all lower case - its fair game !!!

....or you can make a legal test case - which I win with a display of Quidpower !

Is carbon ok - if its a bit cloudy ?

In that case I concede, with an immense display of QuitPower.

I think that was quite a nice bit of QuipPower
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • dennisn wrote:
    Pat Murray wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Thinking about it though, so long as you've kept the carbon perfectly dry you should be fine. If you get it wet, the moisture gets between the layers of cloth and when it freezes it splits the carbon apart.

Oh dear - do you honestly think that there is void between layers? Suggest you google Carbon Fibre.

Well there could be voids between layers and even between fibres themselves - incomplete macroflow. Although if macroflow isn't complete the "operator" should be able to identify the issue and reject the component. But if there is incomplete microflow you are probably screwed.

I guess I did listen while at uni.

I'm impressed. Not a clue about what you said, but very impressed with the way you said it.

It's all to do with resin flow through preforms. The "quality" of the flow of resin is determined by the viscosity of the resin, too viscous and you'll get incomplete flow.

Not with prepreg - should have listened more :D
  • redddraggon
    Pat Murray wrote:

Microflow maybe, but there's no guarantee of complete macroflow
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pat Murray wrote:

Perhaps I should have listened more!
  • redddraggon
    Pat Murray wrote:
    Pat Murray wrote:

Perhaps I should have listened more!

I was assuming some sort of resin injection, rather than old fashioned resin application with a paint brush.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This happened when someone took their bike from the warm garage straight out into -2 deg C temperatures.

Note the carbon fork.

Lodwick_Bike_t650.jpg
    Looks like they got off lightly. If it was a bit colder, the bike could have exploded, taking half the world's population with it. Phew.