Carbon in winter

topher9
topher9 Posts: 54
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Read somewhere that carbon fibre doesn't like freezing temperatures. So, am I okay to ride my bike (with carbon forks) through the winter?

Also, should I be storing it in the loft rather than the garage where the temperatures will drop below freezing?

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Boeing will be in trouble flying their carbon fibre 787 at 30,000 feet won't they?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Oh no, here we go - NapD this is your cue...
  • will3
    but I'd be careful as because it's so brittle if you go over a bump at -0.1 degrees your forks may shatter
  • will3
    Thinking about it though, so long as you've kept the carbon perfectly dry you should be fine. If you get it wet, the moisture gets between the layers of cloth and when it freezes it splits the carbon apart.
  • will3 wrote:
    Thinking about it though, so long as you've kept the carbon perfectly dry you should be fine. If you get it wet, the moisture gets between the layers of cloth and when it freezes it splits the carbon apart.

Oh dear - do you honestly think that there is void between layers? Suggest you google Carbon Fibre.
  • will3
    Pat Murray wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Oh dear - do you honestly think that there is void between layers? Suggest you google Carbon Fibre.

:roll:

:lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This happened when someone took their bike from the warm garage straight out into -2 deg C temperatures.

Note the carbon fork.

Lodwick_Bike_t650.jpg
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    will3 wrote:

Wasn't there something about it "melting" if it got wet???? Actually not melting, but sort of dissolving. Much like steel frames. Which won't last a week if gotten wet.
  • will3
    Pat Murray wrote:

NapoleonD wrote:
    This happened when someone took their bike from the warm garage straight out into -2 deg C temperatures.

Note the carbon fork.

Lodwick_Bike_t650.jpg

See I don;t need google, I've got NapD :lol:
  • will3
    dennisn wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Wasn't there something about it "melting" if it got wet???? Actually not melting, but sort of dissolving. Much like steel frames. Which won't last a week if gotten wet.

maha , and if you then freeze it it will shatter easily, just like the baddie in Terminator 2
  • Anonymous
    This woman and child were riding their full carbon fibre commuter with carbon wheels on veloflex carbon tyres when they got hit by a rain storm...

invisibike1.jpg
  • will3
    djbarren wrote:
    why then do they use carbon fibre for skis, ski poles and snowboards???????????

It's not real carbon fibre. They usually use teak wood and just put stickers on it to make it look like carbon fibre

Edit: I googled it:

Apparently the small gaps between the layers of carbon cloth in the skis cause enough friction as the skis flex to warm them above freezing
  • dennisn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This woman and child were riding their full carbon fibre commuter with carbon wheels on veloflex carbon tyres when they got hit by a rain storm...

invisibike1.jpg

I heard that the child seat was carbon fiber also. All very tragic indeed.
  • Anonymous
    2449.jpg
  • dennisn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    2449.jpg

You are the Master of carbon debate. I'm simply not worthy. :oops: :oops: :cry::cry:
  • I never knew about the bears. Wow
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pat Murray wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Well there could be voids between layers and even between fibres themselves - incomplete macroflow. Although if macroflow isn't complete the "operator" should be able to identify the issue and reject the component. But if there is incomplete microflow you are probably screwed.

I guess I did listen while at uni.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    Pat Murray wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Well there could be voids between layers and even between fibres themselves - incomplete macroflow. Although if macroflow isn't complete the "operator" should be able to identify the issue and reject the component. But if there is incomplete microflow you are probably screwed.

I'm impressed. Not a clue about what you said, but very impressed with the way you said it.
  • o my god

beauty creams don,t work :lol:
    What do you meen you did not see me.
    I,m the pillock in the Hi vis top.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dennisn wrote:
    Pat Murray wrote:
    will3 wrote:

I'm impressed. Not a clue about what you said, but very impressed with the way you said it.

It's all to do with resin flow through preforms. The "quality" of the flow of resin is determined by the viscosity of the resin, too viscous and you'll get incomplete flow.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • just dont get milk on it ....

I left a bowl of fibre flakes sitting in milk and they turned to mush , Imagine what it will do to a frame...

jeez....imagine if the milk was COLD !!

oh ...and dont buy a Planet X like I did , cos apparently they are made of used cornflake boxes from the 1970's ....and they really dont like milk ...cold or not !
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I KNEW Carbon Fibre was spawned by the devil.
  • will3
    djbarren wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Boeing will be in trouble flying their carbon fibre 787 at 30,000 feet won't they?

If carbon fails in the frost why would boeing be using it on the new wingset of the said plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6282820.stm

I wonder if that was my point.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive heard it breaks with an awesome display of quadpower .........(I'll sleep easy)
  • Anonymous
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ive heard it breaks with an awesome display of quadpower .........(I'll sleep easy)

:o Oi, it's QuadPower(tm).

And yes. It does.

Especially if you've been following a Chris Charmichael CTS TrainingPlan(tm).
  • will3
    Sorry, confused by the shite reference. :oops:
    fair point y'all not know what a 787's all about
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    NapoleonD wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

And yes. It does.

youve only copyrighted it in title case - all lower case - its fair game !!!

....or you can make a legal test case - which I win with a display of Quidpower !

Is carbon ok - if its a bit cloudy ?
  • Anonymous
    kingrollo wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

And yes. It does.

youve only copyrighted it in title case - all lower case - its fair game !!!

....or you can make a legal test case - which I win with a display of Quidpower !

In that case I concede, with an immense display of QuitPower.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    kingrollo wrote:

What kind of clouds are we talking about here?