Winter bike

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
I want to keep my nice carbon road bike free from ugly road salt, wet and mud this winter. I also want to train hard over winter, I was thinking about a Cyclo-cross bike for the road and possibly enter a few cross cycle events. Is it feasible to use a cyclo-cycle (never had one before) for the road. Is there much difference between a standard road bike and a cyclo-cross bike? Can this be used for winter road training as well?

I need a winter bike!

Comments

• not a bad choice.
    A cx bike has a more upright geometry so that it is easyer to control offroad, has cnti brakes that are more powerful and have more mud clearance and are stronger that road bikes.
    The only thing you may wish to change is the cassette/chainrings as thay are geared lower
  • canoas
    cheers explosifpete. I need to train with the right cassette for sure.

Yeah I think I might go cx bike. Time Crossteam looks nice, but ££££. As all good bikes are!

Don't want to spend to much, as I imagine it will only be used for about 3-4 months a year. Will look around.
  • surosa audax comp there is a review on here of it , once you get back on your trek you'll fly
  • not sure why i thought you had a trek!
  • Unless you know you will try some CX races, you might want to think about a winter training/audax, which will have clearance for mudguards, making winter training much more enjoyable.

I use a ribble winter training frame with full guards and 25mm tyres (although I run a triple because of the terrain around here)
    Why can't the wind ALWAYS be be behind me
  • canoas
    Cheers chinchli, I look at the Ribble winter bike, looks good. Your in Zurich, yes been their recently. Friend in Zug, try the Zugerberg climb. Also if you haven't done drive to Brienz park you car and climb Axalp. One of the best climbs ever, ok hard 9-10% (12km) the whole way but no CARS! Link below I used.

http://www.velcanto.ch/Velo/Parcours/Be ... eAxalp.htm