Bikes on Virgin trains

iain_j
iain_j Posts: 1,941
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
What's my chances of turning up at a station and taking my bike on a Virgin train without booking in advance? I'm thinking of Carlisle or Penrith to Wigan or Warrington, possibly a Sunday afternoon but I could go anytime depending on my chances of getting on board.

Comments

• cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    I've taken a bike from London up to the Lakes a few times on Virgin, always with a reservation and often been the only bike. London bound trains will be a 'Pendolino' with quite a lot of space in the last car (standard class) which is usually at the North end of the train. Whether you get on without a reservation might depend on the staff on the day, and a Sunday in summer could be busy with other bikes.

Trains to Birmingham will be 'Voyager' trains- less bike space. You could see if they will issue a reservation on the day. I reckon a 70% chance of getting on without- but I'm not a gambling man.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Officially you can't do it. In reality, I've never been asked for the reservation. You may as well book in advance to be honest, you'll get the ticket cheaper too probably.
  • On Virgin and national express trains and I have always been asked for a reservation, on occasion I have been allowed on without one but it is a bit hit and miss, even with a reservation you are not guaranteed to get on. On our way back from a recent trip we had reservations for four bikes. When the train turned up the bike spaces were full (one bike and a load of suitcases) as the train itself was mobbed. The guard was not prepared to let us on - Luckily he was changing out at this station and the oncoming guard was much more flexible, he got us to put the bikes in the next compartment which was in the engine. Still best to have a reservation at least you have a basis to argue the point when you are trying to get on the train.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Which begs the question - why don't modern trains have guard vans/luggage compartments these days? The old Intercity ones did, and commuter trains.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Booked mine on a FGW tonight but turned up early with reservation and ticket for myself, neither of which were checked.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    johnfinch wrote:
    Which begs the question - why don't modern trains have guard vans/luggage compartments these days? The old Intercity ones did, and commuter trains.

They do have luggage compartments. Several of them in fact. It's where they now shoehorn-in the over-charged commuters like sardines. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    johnfinch wrote:

In fairness, most of the long-distance operators like National Express, East Midlands Trains, Virgin, etc. do. It's the regional operators - especially in the South-East - that are a bit short on dedicated bike provision.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    orangetank wrote:
    On Virgin and national express trains and I have always been asked for a reservation, on occasion I have been allowed on without one but it is a bit hit and miss, even with a reservation you are not guaranteed to get on. On our way back from a recent trip we had reservations for four bikes. When the train turned up the bike spaces were full (one bike and a load of suitcases) as the train itself was mobbed. The guard was not prepared to let us on - Luckily he was changing out at this station and the oncoming guard was much more flexible, he got us to put the bikes in the next compartment which was in the engine. Still best to have a reservation at least you have a basis to argue the point when you are trying to get on the train.

VT and NX both require the guard to unlock a normally staff-only area hence them being a bit stricter on reservations. I did nearly get stranded at Euston once thanks to sloppiness on the part of the guard and had to wheel my bike through the passenger area of the end coach!
    The electric NX services out of King's X have unusually good bike provision with proper stands etc. so I don't really mind the extra fuss when travelling with them.
    Nul points to CrossCountry, though, with their tatty carriage cleaners' bin-bags, sorry, bike storage areas featuring knackered 'securing' straps and virtually no means of stopping your bike getting swiped by an opportunistic toe-rag whilst you're sat blissfully unaware in the adjoining passenger compartment.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    In fairness I've never had a problem with the regional trains round my way (Merseyrail, Northern, Transpennine and Arriva Wales). Never made a reservation but never been unable to take my bike on. I don't like making advance bookings and reservations cos sod's law says it will be p!ssing down and blowing a gale when the day comes :lol:
  • If you are taking intercity trains - eg west coast, east coast, great western main lines rather than "local" services then I'd book in advance. They will have guard vans but unless the guard expects to pick up a bike at a particular station they could be anywhere on the train. With train performance dependent upon punctual stops at stations they won't be pleased to delay the service to find the guard and get you on the train.

Surely it's always p-ing down or blowing a gale in the North West. Got a train to Manchester once and refused to get off as it wasn't raining. I thought someone had changed the station signs as a practical joke :wink::wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • graham56
    graham56 Posts: 634
    I caught the Pendalino at Penrith and travelled up to Carlisle and didn`t book but did ask when i was buying a ticket if there was room. The platform staff opened the door just behind the drivers compartment, they also contacted Carlisle and the platform staff there were waiting to open up for me, so at no time was the guard involved.

It`s a state of mind.