Possibly the best Sub £1500 Build Ever

2»

Comments

• JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Slow1972 wrote:
    Fair point, I'd missed his fixed gear comment, assume he's still needing brakes though if he's building it for TTing

you only need one brake so theres a bit more weight saved
  • JC.152 wrote:
    you only need one brake so theres a bit more weight saved

Or as most of the fixed wheel riding morons in our rainy city seem to ride without any brakes! Is this why it's so hard to stop for a red light?!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Ash_ wrote:
    Bhima wrote:
    The drivetrain bits had holes drilled in em. No idea why, but that would save crazy ammounts of weight. They used to belong to a track racer who did loads of wind-tunnel testing, so I assume they're all safe to use and that there's some logical explaination behind that.

Wind tunnel testing won't determine the strength of a crankset. all it'd do is confirm that a crankset with lots of holes drilled in it is less aerodynamic than an unadulterated one.

And how can the carbon rims you've got be made in the same moulds as true deep-section rims, without being the same, deep-section, shape?

I'm really keen to see this bike when it's finished.

I'm going to guess that the all-up weight will be 6.8kg.

I wouldn't hold your breath. We are still waiting to see the TT times, Race Results, Cadence stats etc that back up previous claims! I would be highly surprised if he is even in Poland TBH. I would expect, as we have already seen, that the story changes from the Bike weighs 4.whateverkg to, that is what it weighed when he STARTED building it and it was us that got confused! :lol:

Bhima is my favourite poster.
  • LuCAs...
    LuCAs... Posts: 13
    to the original post... nice bike
    your'e 15 and can afford that! lucky git lol.. :shock:
  • Yes Bhima is quite a tool. Everytime i drop into the forum his posts seem to be sillier. Has to be a gee up.
    2009 Cervelo S1
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite
  • your'e 15 and can afford that! lucky git lol..

lol, my bikes worth about the same, im 15 btw

but you should see some of the bikes on the national cricuit the 15-14-13 year olds are usin, im talkin cervevlo' with zipp 808's and the like...
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    just been on planet x and it looks like you can get a sram red version of your bike for another £100 over the sub £1500 build :shock:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... M_Red.html
  • but you could of got a scott cr1 for £1350, the quality of that frame speaks for itslef...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    JC.152 wrote:
    just been on planet x and it looks like you can get a sram red version of your bike for another £100 over the sub £1500 build :shock:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... M_Red.html

Thats a good deal but really most people will want it built - and that is £200 over £1500. Still what a deal!!!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • LuCAs...
    LuCAs... Posts: 13
    yh.... im jealous now
    im 15 too, only got a dawes giro :(
    spose i better start saving my pocket money :wink:
  • That was my first bike!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I wish I had a bike like the OP when I was 15, I had no road bike then :lol:, just a heap of worn out MTB.
  • freehub wrote:
    I wish I had a bike like the OP when I was 15, I had no road bike then :lol:, just a heap of worn out MTB.

And now some heaps of worn out road bikes...... :wink:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    your'e 15 and can afford that! lucky git lol..

but you should see some of the bikes on the national cricuit the 15-14-13 year olds are usin, im talkin cervevlo' with zipp 808's and the like...

I was talking to a 14 year old lad at the tour de france this year. Met him at the top of the Colombiere just before the riders came through and he was on a very nice suped up Cervelo. Still preferred by CR1 Pro though..;-)
  • sampras38 wrote:
    bikeboy123 wrote:
    your'e 15 and can afford that! lucky git lol..

I was talking to a 14 year old lad at the tour de france this year. Met him at the top of the Colombiere just before the riders came through and he was on a very nice suped up Cervelo. Still preferred by CR1 Pro though..;-)

my dad bought me my last bike when I was 12. Then when I wanted to get into cycling proper aged 18 i had to save and save to get a Dawes Giro 800. Do the same again as a student to get a steel race bike with Veloce and the same ever since. Got my first carbon frame last december aged 27. You appreciate stuff more and work harder on performance, not buying bling I reckon.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Nice bike Lfc, but the CBoardman carbon comes with Sram rival fitted and that's 350 quid cheaper.
  • Kingtut87
    Kingtut87 Posts: 105
    My current bike cost just under £1500 and I reckon it was a steal at that price.

Cinelli Willin frameset and finishing kit
    Campag Athena Groupset
    Easton EA50SL Wheel set
    ProRace 3 Tyres
    Red Jagwire cables
    2nd hand pedals and the seat of my old road bike

Considering the Willin at its base spec with a veloce groupset costs more than mine did to build up Im well chuffed!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've just worked out the net cost of my road bike - around £890, so well under £1,500. May need to start a "best value build under a grand" thread. Basically, I got a Viner Gladius on cycle to work (ends up costing me around £650), sold a few bits, replaced with bits off ebay / sourced at bargain rates / switched over from old bike. Spec is as follows:

Frame - Viner Gladius carbon monocoque (L)
    Fork - Carbon monocoque (350g)
    Wheels - Xero XR1
    Tyres - Conti GP4000
    Shifters - Centaur Carbon 09
    Front mech - Centaur 08
    Rear mech - Centaur Carbon 08
    Crankset - Miche Race (claims to have Chorus quality rings, Centaur quality cranks)
    Saddle - Flite
    Seatpost - Zero racing carbon (185g)
    Stem - Zero racing alloy (99g)
    Bars - Easton EC90 (I think) carbon
    Pedals - Keo sprint
    Brakes - Record (pre skeleton shape)
    Bottle cages - carbon (13g each)

Weighs in at around 7.3kg / 16lbs, flies up hills and looks better than a bike bought from Halfords has any right to! :lol:
  • bikeboy123 wrote:
    evans doing scott cr1 team for £1350...crackin bike and top quality frame...

I got a Scott CR1 Comp for £1099, they are doing them now for £999 on there website www.epic-cycles.co.uk really quality bike, but I will be upgrading the wheels for next season.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    MatHammond wrote:
    I've just worked out the net cost of my road bike - around £890, so well under £1,500. May need to start a "best value build under a grand" thread. Basically, I got a Viner Gladius on cycle to work (ends up costing me around £650), sold a few bits, replaced with bits off ebay / sourced at bargain rates / switched over from old bike. Spec is as follows:

Frame - Viner Gladius carbon monocoque (L)
    Fork - Carbon monocoque (350g)
    Wheels - Xero XR1
    Tyres - Conti GP4000
    Shifters - Centaur Carbon 09
    Front mech - Centaur 08
    Rear mech - Centaur Carbon 08
    Crankset - Miche Race (claims to have Chorus quality rings, Centaur quality cranks)
    Saddle - Flite
    Seatpost - Zero racing carbon (185g)
    Stem - Zero racing alloy (99g)
    Bars - Easton EC90 (I think) carbon
    Pedals - Keo sprint
    Brakes - Record (pre skeleton shape)
    Bottle cages - carbon (13g each)

Weighs in at around 7.3kg / 16lbs, flies up hills and looks better than a bike bought from Halfords has any right to! :lol:

well, if you are counting Cyclescheme ... mine is costing me £1050 :)

Good bike you got there though :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    The OP has a very very nice looking bike. Subtle styling. A nicely shaped frame painted a nice colour looks far better than something covered in stickers and branding (like most road bikes, which is one of the main reasons I spec/paint my own bikes)

I know some people like to show off their bike and components with 'superfast team light pro carbon xt' written on every single nut and bolt, but I think it's far more effective to show off by going quickly than by having a bling bike. Personally I'd remove as many logos as I could.

Also, if you do badly in your races, then it doesn't look like you're a crap rider who has tried to compensate by buying the most expensive bike out there :P

If I wanted a brand new bike, that's probably the frame I would go for. The colour is absolutely gorgeous - I was actually going to paint my daily a similar pearlescent white but it costs a fortune to buy!
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    The OP has a very very nice looking bike. Subtle styling. A nicely shaped frame painted a nice colour looks far better than something covered in stickers and branding (like most road bikes, which is one of the main reasons I spec/paint my own bikes)

I know some people like to show off their bike and components with 'superfast team light pro carbon xt' written on every single nut and bolt, but I think it's far more effective to show off by going quickly than by having a bling bike. Personally I'd remove as many logos as I could.

Also, if you do badly in your races, then it doesn't look like you're a crap rider who has tried to compensate by buying the most expensive bike out there :P

If I wanted a brand new bike, that's probably the frame I would go for. The colour is absolutely gorgeous - I was actually going to paint my daily a similar pearlescent white but it costs a fortune to buy!