BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! :D

nathan ferguson
nathan ferguson Posts: 33
edited August 2009 in Road general
hey guys i've got an EXXCEL OXYGEN and i dunno if it's standard but it has TXS 500 shocks on the front and a realllllllly soft spongey seat, it's great for long rides, but i've recently fitted new v-brakes on the front and rear, but they don't seem to grip... i can't physically put them any closer the wheel without them drag braking which isn't good seeing as there are a lot of hills by my place and they're all killers! can anyone tell me why they may be like this? nothing special about them, just bog standard v-brakes, replacing the old v-brakes, which were completely shot.. yet whenever i put on the brakes they only rub and full lock is quite frankly pathetic... there's no oil on them or anything, and i've recently reoiled my bike yet it's STILL stiff asthough someone is holding the pedals back it's annoying because i LOVE cycling :D it's amazing and i can't risk it with my brakes like this... and it's a lot more effort with it being this stiff :cry: please help anyone, and also they are about the only thing i have changes because i'm too scared to change anything else, can anyone give me some confidence for that aswell please? many thanks! nath :)

Comments

• lae
    lae Posts: 555
    What you need to do is wind the adjuster (the one on the lever) most of the way out, then squeeze the brakes together so they are up against the rim, pull the cable taught through the v-brake and tighten it up (if you can get someone to hold the brakes while you clamp the cable it makes it much easier). The brakes are now on without even pulling the lever - wind the lever adjuster back in until the pads are almost touching the rim - now when you pull the lever the brakes should come on very quickly and strongly.

Also make sure your pads and rims are clean. A bit of white spirit/thinner on a rag wiped over the rim and pads a few times will clean them properly. If you've got oil on your pads then you can even go over them very lightly with some very fine sandpaper but if they're soaked then it's best to replace them as they're only cheap.

As for the pedals feeling stiff, it's probably the bottom bracket. Take the chain off and if it's still hard to move the cranks round, then the BB needs replacing. If they spin easily with the chain off, then the problem has to lie with the back wheel - the rear wheel bearings could be seized up or the brakes could be rubbing badly, or the tyre isn't pumped up enough!

Hope this helps
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    What you need to do is wind the adjuster (the one on the lever) most of the way out, then squeeze the brakes together so they are up against the rim, pull the cable taught through the v-brake and tighten it up (if you can get someone to hold the brakes while you clamp the cable it makes it much easier). The brakes are now on without even pulling the lever - wind the lever adjuster back in until the pads are almost touching the rim - now when you pull the lever the brakes should come on very quickly and strongly.

Also make sure your pads and rims are clean. A bit of white spirit/thinner on a rag wiped over the rim and pads a few times will clean them properly. If you've got oil on your pads then you can even go over them very lightly with some very fine sandpaper but if they're soaked then it's best to replace them as they're only cheap.

As for the pedals feeling stiff, it's probably the bottom bracket. Take the chain off and if it's still hard to move the cranks round, then the BB needs replacing. If they spin easily with the chain off, then the problem has to lie with the back wheel - the rear wheel bearings could be seized up or the brakes could be rubbing badly, or the tyre isn't pumped up enough!

Hope this helps
  • thanks!, i'll try that, much appreciated :D yer the pedals move easily once the chain is off (from countless times where my trouser gets stuck and pulls the chain off :evil: ) but when it is on it's noticably stiff(er), i was on a friends bike and his was a LOT smoother and easier to ride...and his wasn't exactly new either :?