Ride the Route Worcestershire

Sheptastic
Sheptastic Posts: 298
This'll be my first sportiv, any tips re training and for the big day? Do's and Don'ts? It looks to be pretty epic from this: http://ridetheroute.net/mapsroute.html.
Thanks.

Comments

• Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    Also apolgies for the massivey noob style post
  • I did my first sportive 3 weeks back, The Pendle Pedal, 100 miles of v hilly Lancashire. I loved the first 30miles, felt worried and tired the next 30 miles, hopeful the next 20, and died the last 20. Didn't walk any unlike many. But just 3 days later I was looking for my next event and may do the ride the route as I live in Birmingham. It can't be any harder than Pendle plus is a bit shorter.
    Tips from my 1 day experience:
    -Take 2 inner tubes, I didn't have a puncture but saw loads of others who did.
    -Start at earliest opportunity. Don't know if there's a time limit on ride the route? There wasn't one advertised on Pendle but when info and number came through you had to average 12 mph, not includng any stopping.That may sound slow if you are a serious cyclst but n the end i fnished with 8mins to spare in 9hrs52mins (stopped for 1hr in total at feed stops), 17 others were timed out!
    -Take sandwiches.I did and was v greatful.there is loads of fruit,energy bars etc at feed stations but that's all v sweet so it was great to have a balance.
    -get a lift home.I had to drive over 2 hours home and that was stupid.
    -take the next day off work. I went in but headed home at 12.30 as I was fit for nothing!
    -If you have a speedo on your bike, unless you ride in a straight line, expect to add 4 miles on the official distance.Pendle was officially 100 but with the zigzagging I did on a couple of hills and stops at feed stations I did over 104.I was ready for the end at 80 so that was hard to swallow.
    -Enjoy

May see you there

T
  • Sheptastic wrote:
    This'll be my first sportiv, any tips re training and for the big day? Do's and Don'ts? It looks to be pretty epic from this: http://ridetheroute.net/mapsroute.html.
    Thanks.

I have done this ride for the last two years and its great. Sadly it clashes with the annual MacRide so can't go this year. However in answer to your question:

Its flattish for the first 15 or so miles so warm up on that stretch. Don't set off too quickly but do try to leave with a bunch.
    Great malvern seems to go on for a long while but the view to your left is spectacular...keep looking left rather than up the long drag infront of you and its amazing how much shorter the hill will seem.
    I'm guessing that the optional "killer" hill is in again. I asked the organisers last year to actually put a sign indicating (for non locals) that the optonal hill was about to start (or at least a turning leading towards it). Assuming they do that, I'd recommend you opt out of the killer option. Its silly steep and just made the ride massively unenjoyable (loads pushed up it last year btw)
    If its the same as last year, there was a feed station shortly after teh killer option (last year it wasn't an option cos non locals like me had no idea where we were!
    The signage is first class, After each junction there is a confirmation saign (which early on doesn't matter but when your shot and tired later on, the confirmation sign is a blessing). Also on long stretches when you don't have to turn off (and just when your mind is thinking "have I gone wrong" they put signs up in the middle of nowhere to reassure you
    Geez as I write this I'm dead jealous!
    The feed stations are good with drinks etc. savoury stuff ws there last year. Take some fruit malt loaf in your pocket just for something different.
    Def take 2 inner tubes
    2 full bottles and drink them both before you get to feed numero uno.
    Ankerdine is a brute but short. Just imagine the ToB guys racing up it no time flat! The fotographer might be there so make sure you grimace/smile accordingly
    Be prepared to spend long stretches on your own but to jump onto others back wheel every so often (always ask whether they mind and tell them you were flagging - they almost certainly won't care as they'll drop you at the next hill anyway)
    The ride back in to the race course is pretty flat
    Enjoy! hope the weather is good for you (cos the missus and daughter are joining me on the MacRide from Stratford so I'm sure we'll have similar weather)
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • I have not ridden this event but I know the area as I live close by.

It is hilly and is hilly by attrition albeit with a flatter tail. So not many huge long climbs but plenty of steep short to medium ascents that give a punch. The 'Do' is make sure you get in some hill training. The related 'Don't' is to drive a hard pace at the beginning and use all your reserves.

The 'Don't' is descend the hills too quickly. Some of the route follows winding lanes with steep descents. Caution may be the name of the game. In particular, Ribbesford Ford, to the south of Bewdley is sided by two very steep hills and the ford itself is often greasy. In fact I would go as far as suggesting that this particular part of the route is utter madness. I know at least two riders who have been ambulanced out of that location. See the link to the location:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=37 ... 72095&lm=0

If you have not submitted your entry form and are not confident about hills (and you may well be an expert at them for all I know) then I would recommend the Shakespeare 100 on the same day and not too far away.
  • JRDM
    JRDM Posts: 6
    I hope to be giving this one a go this year. I live in Malvern so hills are not much of a worry, but I need to up my mileage a bit (by about 50 miles!). Just need to organise some time off work...
  • Thanks for the advice guys! Great ride and fantastic weather - sunburnt on one side of one leg but not the other!
    Was suffering at mile 70 - thank god for that feed station.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    You did it - well done. was is it as bad you feared ?