Specialized Tricross 2009 Sport

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Anyone ride one of these as this looks good. Saw it in Dales in Glasgow and liked it, anyone have any comments on the performance? Have read some stuff about it juddering when front brakes are used, but apart from that gets fairy decent review.

Commute is 7 miles in and up to 20 back, mostly roads, but want to have option of canals and other tracks.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• I have a 09 sport and I love it. Make sure you get mini V's fitted to cure the brake judder. I swopped the saddle for a broken in Brooks B17 (personal choice) and after about 4 months replaced the 700x32 CX tyres for some Bonty Hard case light (700x28). Sacrifice some comfort for less rolling resistance as most of my riding is road based. As a bike it does not excel in any specific area it just does everything well. It would manage trails and paths with ease, the triple allows you climb almost any hill and is steady and stable on the road.

Would I buy another one? Yes.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Don't let Keiran Burns know you're contemplating the dark side - we'll never hear the last of it
    :D
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Thanks Satan, sounds good so far. I have an old road bike, but dont want a full on one, as I do vary commute.

Yes, I know Kieran is likes the Cross more than the Pope!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    and here's me a Catholic as well.... :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hi,

I have one - my first (and only) road bike, bought last Christmas, and I like it a lot. Have also swapped the tyres for Continental 4 Seasons 28mm for lower rolling resistance but other than that I'm happy. The wheels are a bit heavy but strong. I may also change the saddle - saving up for a good one.
    Brake judder - I had a bit of this but cured it by making sure the rims were clean. I use a little "rim rubber", bought at the LBS.
    The triple chain ring is great. I'm not super thin or fit but recently did a 4km climb which averages 9%, something I never thought I could do. A compact gives similar gear ratios, apparently, but the triple works for me. I ride for pleasure and commuting, typically between 30 and 60km, on roads.
    The down side for me is the colour - I have the brown/black version. I'd prefer something a bit less, agricultural. But hey, it's doing the job.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs