helmet law in New Zealand

Nick Hill
Nick Hill Posts: 413
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
well time is pressign on and we are getting ever closer to our departure date

one quick question are helmets a legal requireemnt in NZ and how rigorously id the law enforced

I dont want a debate on helmet use or the need to have one with all the maniac drivers in NZ :lol: just a locals opinion on whether we'll get pulled if we dont have one
Cheers

Nick

Its not a vest its a base layer!!

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Yes, helmets are compulsory in New Zealand. However, when we were on a CTC tour in 1999 at least one member of the party rarely wore his and got away with it. This was all on South Island and we didn't spot many police cars.

We didn't have much trouble with local car drivers. Roads were very quiet generally but there aren't many options to using the main roads.

You'll enjoy it. I even got the chance to go glider flying one evening at Omarama and had a relaxing slope soaring session. The area has some of the best flying conditions in the world.

When are you going? We were there in January/February and had great weather but some friends of ours found it very cold in November/December.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    From my time in NZ the fine was NZ$10 IIRC. I hired a bike for a few hours and had no choice on the matter but I wore a helmet back home so not a problem for me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RimTape
    RimTape Posts: 243
    Not sure how rigorously the law is enforced but it is quite rare to see somebody without a helmet.

About the only people you see with no helmets are the occasional hoody wearing bmx riding teenager.

Cheers
    Velox
  • Nick Hill
    looks like we'll be taking them then :lol:

we are going end of september but are prepared for "cold" conditions

getting excited and nervous at the moment :wink:
    Cheers

Nick

• RimTape
    but are prepared for "cold" conditions

The thing about New Zealand is not that it is especially cold but more that it oscillates widely.

For example I rode into work today and it was 10 degrees whereas on Monday it was below zero.

Have a great trip!

Velox
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    NZ is like Australia, you rarely see anyone without a helmet... and then they are frowned upon. :?
  • Nick Hill
    zero blimey I wasn't expecting it that cold :shock:

where abouts in NZ are you velox?
    Cheers

Nick

• We're looking at emigrating to NZ and from what I've read on the south island zero isn't that uncommon especially in winter. They have to get snow on the southern alps some how don't they :wink:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Nick Hill wrote:
    zero blimey I wasn't expecting it that cold :shock:

Sub zero will be common on the south island, here it never gets below zero in Auckland. Only seen a couple mild frosts this winter, I think coldest is 2c. It does vary alot that's for sure, but that's no different to the UK.

Helmet wise, you see very few people without them, I'd guess you'd be likely to be pulled up and forced to wear one.
  • RimTape

I'm in Christchurch .. 10.5 C again this morning.

Velox
  • Nick Hill
    more merino to be packed for sure

thaought i would get away with shorts and the legwrmers for the odd cool day :oops:
    Cheers

Nick

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I toured in NZ 10 years ago and met lots of (foreign) bike tourers who didn't wear them and hadn't had any problems, dunno if it's more strictly enforced now though.

Just out of interest do you wear one here, and if so what's putting you off taking it to NZ? As others have said you will rarely get much hotter than you would riding on a hot day in the UK.
  • Nick Hill
    i only tend to wear one here when racing

I was more the bulk of packing one really but if its law its no problem

Might keep the rain off :lol:
    Cheers

Nick

• slopster
    slopster Posts: 19
    They are compulsery - the fine for not wearing is $55nzd. In reality you wont get pulled on the open road. You might get stopped by a bored cop in urban areas and probably given a lecture rather then a ticket.

Not wearing a helmet is pretty frowned upon in NZ unless you're a 15 year old on a bmx. To be honest I found it really strange when I came over here and saw hardly anyone wearing them. I'm all for a helmetless ride down to the corner shop but doesn't feel right for a proper ride. But thats just me.