TPCC ToB Tour Rides

Wow, that's a lot of initials :lol:

Inspired by the TdF, was chatting in the pub with a friend who's into mountain biking, and he's intending to enter the Stoke one of these, over either the 70km or 145km distance.

Now he's trying to persuade me to take part, but I've never ridden that sort of distance before (nope, not even 70k I'm afraid :( ), so I don't want to sign up until I've at least had a bit of a chance to train and see if I'll be up to it. Also I don't want to say yes to 70k with him, and then pull out (as he'd probably rather do the full distance if he's doing it solo).

So my question is, Is there a closing date for entries? I read somewhere there was for the London ride (1,000) I think, but not sure about the Stoke one. Basically could someone with some experience of these kinds of things tell me what's the latest I could enter (oh and any advice on whether I should enter is welcome too haha!).

Cheers!

http://www.tourride.co.uk btw for those that don't know the site. *Edit*

Comments

• PD 2009
    PD 2009 Posts: 9
    Hi,

I've been directed to this by a friend who posts here, so thought I'd sign up and hopefully answer you questions, as I know someone who works for the organisers, so I can easily relay any questions or comments to them, and hopefully get you answers quickly!

There isn't a per se closing date for entries for The Tour Ride Stoke-on-Trent on 6th Sept, but I've been told places are limited, so the sooner you sign up the better as far as ensuring your ride. And yes, the London Ride is only 1,000 spaces, so if you fancy that too you really need to sign up soon.

By way of an encouragement (as if you should need any to get out on your bikes in the beautiful Staffordshire Moorlands, raising money for a very good cause - The Prostate Cancer Charity) there as some exclusive offers to those who sign up first. All explained a bit better than I can do here > http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_news/default.asp?news_id=40

Can't answer your questions about how hard it is, although there are full maps/profiles/GPS files on the Tour Ride website to give you an indication of the route.

Hope that helps, and feel free to fire away with any further questions and I'll send them on to the organisers.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Cool thanks very much for that. Best be getting my thinking cap on about entering then! Time to start training methinks.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my understanding of the event is that you must pledge a fair amount of sponsorship when you sign up.

this is one of the reasons I haven't entered ones nearer me.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • PD 2009
    Hi Andrew,

No I can assure you that's definitely not the case! All that's asked is you raise as much as you can for The Prostate Cancer Charity, but there's certainly not a specific figure you have to raise to take part. Of course if you'd rather just ride, and not raise money you can, it's just that that the ride if for charity, so even just by taking part you're helping to raise awareness and funds.
    Hope that helps :)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Hi Andrew,

No I can assure you that's definitely not the case! All that's asked is you raise as much as you can for The Prostate Cancer Charity, but there's certainly not a specific figure you have to raise to take part. Of course if you'd rather just ride, and not raise money you can, it's just that that the ride if for charity, so even just by taking part you're helping to raise awareness and funds.
    Hope that helps

Well that's changed then, my wife and I fancied this but I'm pretty sure there were words like 'pledge £250', this put us off big time as this seemed to imply you must raise at least £250 (or whatever the amount was). As my wife and I were going as a 'team' it seemed we had to promise to raise £500. Not something we were prepared to do.

On looking at the site now, it seems to have changed from last month.
    We are asking cyclists to try to raise around £250; this sum will really help the Charity to fight prostate cancer, a disease that kills one man every hour in the UK.

We'll have a look at this again in light of your comments.

thanks
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • PD 2009
    No worries andrew, not sure if it has been changed or not, just know that there isn't a certain amount you have to pledge, just a case of raise as much as you can for the Prostate Cancer Charity. Good luck if you do decide to take part!