Mice in my drivetrain?

Lunar Tick
Lunar Tick Posts: 62
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Hi folks. Sounds a daft question I know but I bought a shiny new road bike back in May (nice Ti frame equipped with SRAM Red) and I'm struggling to get a silent drivetrain.

My LBS recommended Finish Line white wax lube but the drivetrain has never been silky smooth and silent in operation. After thoroughly cleaning the chain and re-applying lube, it's quiet for a while then I start getting an occasional 'squeak' and clicking sounds after 10 miles or so. It's definitely coming from the chain/jockey wheels - everything else has been ruled out. Should I try a different lube? Any recommendations? It's driving me potty!
Cheers, Andrew

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Are you lubing the jockey wheels too?

Take out the rear wheel and liberally spray GT85 all over the mech. Might help.
  • Lunar Tick
    Hi Jamey - yes, I have lubed the jockey wheels too. Is it OK to mix lubes if I use GT85? Sorry to sound ignorant but things have moved on since I was last racking up the miles on a bike :D
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    No idea tbh. Don't think there'd be a problem but don't sue me if your bike falls apart ;)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    "clicking" - have you tried adjusting your rear deraileur? - ie barrel adjuster.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Are you taking it out in the wet? The Finish Line wax stuff (red cap on the bottle?) just seems to disappear so maybe worth trying the wet stuff (green cap)?
  • Lunar Tick
    Mettan wrote:
    "clicking" - have you tried adjusting your rear deraileur? - ie barrel adjuster.

I know what you mean but gears are correctly aligned - it's not so much a clicking sound as a 'metal on metal' sound. Hard to describe really
  • Lunar Tick
    MrChuck wrote:
    Are you taking it out in the wet? The Finish Line wax stuff (red cap on the bottle?) just seems to disappear so maybe worth trying the wet stuff (green cap)?

My rides are mainly in the dry though occasionally go I through water running off from the hills and on the roads. The stuff I'm using is branded as Ceramic Wax - with a gold top. White watery thin fluid. Not how I remember bike lubes of old!
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    For a quiet chain clean off that wax nonsense and use oil, either bike specific oil or any other type. Then clean and relube regularly :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Use a Teflon based dry lube. I use this all year and it works well even in winter. I may use oil if the weather gets really bad.
  • Lunar Tick
    Thanks John and Topdude - I will try those suggestions