Trying to get faster

MikeWW
MikeWW Posts: 723
Relatively new to road biking(about 5 weeks) but have been mountain biking for the last 18 months. I'm 46 and would say I was reasonably fit(or I thought so) and am doing about 140 miles a week(on and off road) Before the road bike was doing about 60-70 miles a week off road

Problem is I don't seem to have the speed to mix it with the local club riders when I do their Friday night training. Once they wind it up a bit (lets say above 25 mph) I start to struggle and just don't seem to have the strength or power to keep up. In fact last Friday as I was dropping off the front group one of the guys gave me a push and pushed me up to over 30 mph! I struggle to get to 35mph on the flat let alone push somebody along to that!

Endurance doesn't seem to be a problem as I can hold things at say 21-22 but it's the extra pace that has me beat

Any suggestions?
More miles?Faster sessions until I fall over?Shorter fast interval type work?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    MikeWW wrote:
    More miles?Faster sessions until I fall over?Shorter fast interval type work?
    Yes, Yes, Yes.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    MikeWW wrote:
    Endurance doesn't seem to be a problem as I can hold things at say 21-22 but it's the extra pace that has me beat

Acclimatise your body, by pushing bigger gears (on the flat) on your training runs. The more you do, say, 26 mph for 5 mins, then 7 mins, 10 mins (as the Months go on etc) the easier it becomes (that's what I've found, anyway) . Just regular riding, and plenty of "big-ish" gears on the flat - just Imho.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Mettan wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:

Acclimatise your body, by pushing bigger gears (on the flat) on your training runs. The more you do, say, 26 mph for 5 mins, then 7 mins, 10 mins (as the Months go on etc) the easier it becomes (that's what I've found, anyway) . Just regular riding, and plenty of "big-ish" gears on the flat - just Imho.

OK Thanks
    Will give it a go
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    This time of year the club riders are at the top of their game
    It's easier to keep up in early spring
    My solution to not being able to follow the pace on summer club runs is to not go on them :) unless I want to suffer and then get dropped
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Im in the same boat as you, although at a slower pace, but I get dropped each time I go out and have to work my arse off to catch up with them when they slow to wait for me, its all progress though and each time im that little bit faster than before... it all adds up in the end.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond