Easy cycling in Chelmsford area?

jonbey
jonbey Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in Routes
Hi

I just got back from a holiday in CentreParcs. Not ridden a bike for over 10 years, but really enjoyed cycling around with my son.

Looking for some EASY riding close to Chelmsford, but off road. Do not want to risk the roads with my son on the back (he's 2 years old). Thinking about Thorndon Park in Brentwood. Just want something safe, flattish and easy going for leisurely rides.

Al suggestions welcome. I plan to get a bike rack for the car, so does not have to be very close to Chelmsford.

Cheers

Jon.

Comments

• nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    the towpath through the middle of town is easy going
    which end of town do you live in ?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Thorndon is great with the trailer, i can be sometimes found taking my two year old around there.
    also if you fancy a nice afternoon by the river, park at the tea rooms of paper mill lock and you can ride pretty flat trail all the way to maldon!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    I live in Chelmsford and have heard things about Flitch Way and it's suitability for kids/families.

Have a search on the net about it. I think it is over Braintree way.

As the two above said the tow parth and Paper Mill lock can be an enjoyable ride although on a good day there are a lot of padestrians so not ideal.
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    The Flitch way is my local .... its the old Braintree to Stortford railway line, so you cant get much flatter !! :lol:
    Its a good leisurely ride but can have its moments.