Straitline Inner Plate

El Toverino
El Toverino Posts: 7
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone used one of the straitline inner plates? Just wanted to know if they sit next to or replace the granny ring and whether they interfered with the front derailuer.

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I've not used one although I thought about getting one for a 1x9 project I was thinking of.

My understanding is that they replace the granny ring and stop the chain shipping when in the lowest gears on the cassette. If you have a front deurallier then that already performs that function so I don't see why you'd need the plate, unless it doubles as a sort of simple chain retention device for DHers, which is something I'd not considered before.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • i'm looking for something to stop the chain bouncing off the chainrings and ending up between the granny ring and the frame when on the down. its annoying at best and dangerous at worst, plus its screwing up my chain and frame. doesn't sound like the straitline thing is what i want tho so anyone got any suggestions?
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    E.13 DRS?

12768.jpg

it's a bit DH though and you lose the big ring (if you're using one)

how loose is your chain? Taking some links out (within reason) will help. Also, checking your gear selection (sorry if patronising) to maintain chain tension should ease the problem eg rather than 32:11 change to the big ring up front and run 42:20 instead.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day