I saw a racing Tricycle today

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited June 2009 in Road general
I saw what i can only describe as a racing bike converted into a tricycle - i didnt even realise these things exististed ( what with owning a MTB ) until today and after i goolged it. Have to say it was a pretty strange looking thing.
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Probably purpose built, not a conversion. There are plenty of us about, lots of info here http://www.tricycleassociation.org.uk/
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Jim Hopper, one of our club members has ridden PBP about 6 times on trikes. They're not common but there are a few around. I have a 1956 Higgins 2 wheel drive and I find it's an excellent cure for constipation if you enter a corner a little too fast :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • valerian
    valerian Posts: 36
    I once saw a tandem trike, an amazing sight. The cycling equivalent of a juggernaut.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I saw another one a few days ago - i go from seeing none to seeing loads :lol:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Got one a couple of years ago....just about learned to ride the thing....decided only worth having if never ride anything else! Sold it!

Probably easiest to learn if have never ridden a two-wheeler - all your instinct sends the body the wrong way!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    Come to the Plomesgate CC grass track meeting and see them racing as well
    (8th August, East Suffolk)
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Funnily enough, yesterday I was talking to an old guy from Kent who owns two racing tri-cycles both custom made by Chas Roberts. It was an informative conversation.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    meagain wrote:
    Got one a couple of years ago....just about learned to ride the thing....decided only worth having if never ride anything else! Sold it!

Probably easiest to learn if have never ridden a two-wheeler - all your instinct sends the body the wrong way!

I got my first trike, a Bob Jackson, one winter when there was a lot of snow (early 70s??). I put it together one evening, had a quick ride round the block on packed snow then rode it the 13 miles to work the following morning. I had absolutely no problems riding it and it felt considerably safer than my bike in the slippery conditions. Perhaps it's because I rode (and competed with) motor cycle and sidecars for some time earlier.

Our trikes were used mostly in the winter and consequently suffered quite a bit from salty roads. That's why they both really need re-enamelling and components replacing now. Must get round to it sometime as they're great fun to ride.

The then chairman of the Tandem Club, Caroline McHale, lent us a tandem trike for a day ride in France to see if we liked it. Even though it was a bit small for us we managed to ride 70 miles with no problem. We were tempted to get one but decided against it. 'Long barrows' are not very common, I suppose, but the late and much missed George Longstaff, made and rode them extensively.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster