53 mile hilly 5000ft+ ride from gateway mcr friday?

2»

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pyms chair near Lamaload. No chance.

:lol: 23.44% at one point, according to my mate's (very accurate) gradient measuring gear... :!:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm going to try the cat and fiddle today to see how I get on. I can only sustain about 240 watts for a few minutes at a time at the moment, the max is about 350 (compared to 300 for an hour and a max of 1400 normally).

I should be ok on the Look in bottom gear...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    How many weeks have you been off? It only seems like yesterday I heard from dan about you falling off.

So anyway looks like it's only going to be me and another guy today, shame :(

Bhima you could have easily did that ride you don't need a rest day, 20 mile every day then 54 mil;e after abit off the bike is not bad, the only riding I was doing was commuting to college and I managed to do a 128 mile ride and manage nearly 17mph.
  • Anonymous
    It was 11 weeks ago today!

Not bad

I was told 1- I may not walk unaided again and 2 - if I did it would be three months at least until I'm walking unaided.

I've had a few raised eyebrows at Occupational Health at work and at the hospital. The physio says I've made an amazing recovery and thinks I may even be jogging by 1st July.

Today I went out for the first time on my proper pedals, I was able to unclip for the first time yesterday. I tried out my sooper dooper mega pimp white Specialized shoes for the first time, they were brilliant! I'd only previously used them on the track. There is an amazing difference in the amount of power you can put down with stiff bike shoes and cleats compared to flats and bendy trainers!

I did 35 miles and included a couple of short climbs - the Macclesfield Road climb of Alderley Edge (I then went down Artists Lane to try out my steep, narrow descending skills, heart was thumping and I was going about 15mph, built some confidence though) then back up Artists Lane. Managed them ok.

I'm making some pretty good strides at the moment, going to try and get under 30 mins at the club 10 next Wednesday.

I'm hoping for a ride tomorrow with Dan, may do the same loop as today...
  • freehub
    Pretty good recovery, well an excellent recovery if you're doing 30+ miles now and going to be doing time trials next week!

good luck I'm sure you'll do it.

Well the route I did today was mad, was hillier and harder than I expected, only average 14.8mph and ended up with 77 miles on the clock, we went up both of the climbs in macclesfield forest, and before going into the goyt valley we went up the cat and fiddle to the pub and back down.

Just when I thought all the climbing was over it turned out we where only half way!!, it was absooute murder, I cant believe some of these climbs, just come out of no where, must have been about 5 that where 20% or higher in some parts.

I really felt the lower saddle gave me better acceleration up hills when I moved to the back of the seat, sat up and put my hand on the middle of the handlebars although I'm unsure if it's better on my right leg than before.

Here have some pictures!!

DSC00262.jpg
    DSC00265.jpg
    DSC00268.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg (that is the hilton in the distance)
    DSC00259.jpg cat and fiddle
    DSC00260.jpg
    DSC00255.jpg

I don't know if I am going to ride tomorrow, if I do I just went to do a steady 30 or 40, on Sunday I'm doing 80miles up north with the wheelers.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8332689

That is the route, I'm amazed at how much climbing we have done, I think its correct since the elvation reading on the GPS is accurate, hopefully motionbased has not blown it out of proportion, I know when I cycle home it's 4000+ft of climbing and today felt a whooole lot harder!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6259155

Connect is probably accurate.
  • Anonymous
    Nice one Will! Both those Macc Forest climbs are hard work. Good to here the new saddle position is working for you too.

I actually did a TT a couple of weeks ago, 34.59, it was in the Macclesfield Express under the headline "Taylor Made Great Recovery'...:)
  • freehub
    Hmmm I looked for it on there site could not find it.

I hope the saddle position is correct and working, wont tell for a while though. my legs are dead now!
  • Anonymous
    It wasn't on the site, it was in the sports pages of the paper, I may scan it in for posterity :)
  • Bhima
    Good to hear it went well!

Went out for a quick recovery ride but, as usual, I ended up putting the hammer down after a good 15 minute warmup.

Caught up to some dude in a Team GB skinsuit and started unofficially racing him (you know how it is :wink::lol: ). Ended up just doing a 2-man chaingang with him until we got to Hale for a well-deserved Espresso!

Actually, there's one downhill bit in Hale (Hale Road) and I managed to hold 28mph for the whole 2 mile stretch to Bowdon/Altrincham! :shock: I couldn't even do that before my injury! No tailwind either!!! Reset the clock before it and when I hit the roundabout at the end, it read "27.8mph" average. :lol:

25 miles in total but my legs feel ok now.

Just got back from the MCR critical mass - do any of you go?
  • freehub
    What is critical mass? People who clog the streets up with bikes?

You should come on this 80miler with the wheelers on sunday at 9am at the Hilton.
  • Bhima
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, that's right.

I was on the front, "doing the work" :lol: and took these photos.

dsc01605e.jpg

dsc01604.jpg

Me, at the front of the "Princess Parkway peloton" :lol:

dsc01607b.jpg
    dsc01606g.jpg

Bit of a party/BBQ at the end:

dsc01611.jpg

Here's a video I got of the guy with the music trailer on the back of his bike:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqT ... Y3AzZUE9PQ

:lol:

Average Speed: 5.57mph
  • Bhima
    Not really up for 80 miles - even on the flat!

Are there no rides tomorrow? :?

Next sunday's chaingang looks good!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Looks like a proper bunch of hippies to me...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Yeah, it pretty much is. :D

Only about 150 people at this one, but there have been about 300 hippies turn up before! :shock:
  • freehub
    Where you in your cycling kit? :lol:

Tbh it seems like a way to p155 off drivers and set a bad example to cyclists as in, thats what drivers think cyclists do but not really.
  • Bhima
    Yep! Full gear with my bananas in the back pocket etc...!

It started out in the states as a protest for bikes against cars but it's a lot more friendly these days. Drivers don't mind (they encourage us :shock:) and it actually sets a good example/awareness for cycling!

I only go because all the other couriers go and hang out at it sometimes. It's a good way for me to catch up with old mates and all that...
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    freehub wrote:

Well the route I did today was mad, was hillier and harder than I expected, I cant believe some of these climbs, just come out of no where, must have been about 5 that where 20% or higher in some parts.

:lol: Dont mess with my rides!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    It sure was good. My legs could take more though tbh :twisted:

I've drawn a 60 odd mile route from gateway that does winnats pass, and a 70 odd mile route that goes into Sheffield city center.
  • I went on this ride with Will. It was unreal. I had no idea it would be that tough. I also got pretty bad sunburn too!